You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to PDF (digital...) error wirth objects having blur layer effect modifier and opacity.

euronesia

Hi,

Ok this never happen before, the export using PDF (digital...) has problems with object with blur layer fx.
As seen on the attachment screenshots, exported pdf it has dark area at the size of the blurred object. It shows correctly in the project file while working. This happens when exporting to PDF (digital small), PDF (digital high), PDF for Export.

I've included exported .pdf file as well the project file.

Please Advice.

Update:

• This happens when the blur object has opacity less than 100% and it is inside another object (sub layer) while on normal Page.
  • If it's on Master Page, it doesn't have to be inside an object it exports with error.
  • This started happening from Affinity Publisher Version 2, I couldn't replicate the issue in Version 1.
  • I also noticed that some object do export correctly (not all) when have "Allow advanced features" ticket on.

Current Workaround:
To avoid this problem currently the blurred object should stay 100% opacity and use the Fill opacity option in layer effect menu under gaussian blur. Still it is really inconvenient, having to go into layer effect option to control the opacity. 

AP-ExportError_01.jpg

AP-ExportError_02.jpg

AffinityPublisher-Export-BUG.afpub AffinityPublisher-Export-BUG.pdf

@euronesia, a couple of observations... firstly, the makeup of the graphic elements in your file use a mix of RGB, HSL and CMYK colour specs as shown below... while this isn't the cause of the issue, all the elements should ideally use an RGB colour space...

Colour.jpg.aa5ef9287183713aa3d6e5b98200858f.jpg

It looks to me as though there is a bug here with the rendering of shadows that have Gaussian Blur applied to them. According to the Affinity Designer Guide...

Allow advanced features

When selected, all design features supported by the PDF file format are exported as vectors. If this option is off, depending on the nature of these features, they are rasterised or converted to curves on export. These features include:

• Artistic text which has been horizontally or vertically stretched.
  • Text which has an applied stroke.
  • Linear and radial gradients.
  • Non-solid transparencies.

By Default, when selecting either PDF Digital (high - quality), PDF Digital (small - size) or PDF (for export), Allow Advanced Features is off by Default, so by Affinity's definition this means the Gaussian Blur Shadows are rasterised.

When you take a look at the exported PDF files using either of these export options, the 'shadow' layers are indeed, as expected, rasterised, however, when you check Allow Advanced Features for any of these three default PDF export options, you notice that the rasterised shadow elements are nested in their own Group layer, separate from the overlying Gradient Layer as shown below...

Allow Advanced Features Off - Left | Allow Advanced Features On - Right

503694214_ShadowGrouped.jpg.61f63fad5155f0610fce090d7c637aa8.jpg

So, as a quick test, in the original source Affinity Publisher file, I simply grouped all the Shadow layers to mirror the layer structure shown on the right above, including the Shadow layer on Master A and then exported the file using the default PDF Digital (high - quality), PDF Digital (small - size) and PDF (for export) settings and lo and behold they export correctly.

So it looks like a bug relating to how linear and radial gradients are rasterised when Allow Advanced Features is off, which it is by default for these three PDF Export settings...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

7 hours ago, Hangman said:

@euronesia, a couple of observations... firstly, the makeup of the graphic elements in your file use a mix of RGB, HSL and CMYK colour specs as shown below... while this isn't the cause of the issue, all the elements should ideally use an RGB colour space...

Thank you for the great observation @Hangman and for pointing out the RGB, HSL, CMYK mixup... I didn't know that each element could stay with different colour space. I thought they all follow projects main colour space. Good to know for future projects.

Now I also understand more what Allow Advanced Features does 👍🏼

As for the bug, hopefully Affinity team do something about it for the next update.

On 1/28/2023 at 6:32 PM, euronesia said:

use the Fill opacity option in layer effect menu

In v2, Fill Opacity is now also available in the Blend Ranges window.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2