You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 2.0.4 MSI - Designer - Switching between brush categories SLOW

thegary

46 minutes ago, thegary said:

Hello,

While in Designer, switching from one brush category to another is painfully slow.

Gary

Sorry this is supposed to PHOTO not designer. Will repost.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

Have you tried this in the MSIX version, too? 

Or just with the MSI version?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you tried this in the MSIX version, too? 

Or just with the MSI version?

@walt.farrell

just the MSI version. Will NOT use the MSIX. Can't and won't use that installer.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

In that case, as this is your first experience with V2, how many brushes and categories do you have? Or, what size is your raster_brushes.propcol file (as you mentioned Photo)? They're all under %userprofile%\.affinity now.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

In that case, as this is your first experience with V2, how many brushes and categories do you have? Or, what size is your raster_brushes.propcol file (as you mentioned Photo)? They're all under %userprofile%\.affinity now.

I have about 8 extra addons for brushes. Exactly the same as V1. V1 doesn't slow down at all. This is a v2 isuue.

Gary

I'm not doubting it's a V2 issue, just looking for explanations. Large numbers of brushes or categories can cause slowdown, though usually that's only when making changes, not when simply switching from one brush to another or one category to another.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not doubting it's a V2 issue, just looking for explanations. Large numbers of brushes or categories can cause slowdown, though usually that's only when making changes, not when simply switching from one brush to another or one category to another.

Sorry for for the file size of the raster_brushes......its 2.3gb

54 minutes ago, thegary said:

Sorry for for the file size of the raster_brushes......its 2.3gb

That's fairly large, but I think they're all in storage while the app is running. And in that case simply switching categories shouldn't take much time.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, Pauls said:

is it snappier with 'Display as List' turned off in the hamburger menu ?

@Pauls

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Tried this option , its still very slow.

Gary

2 hours ago, Pauls said:

is it snappier with 'Display as List' turned off in the hamburger menu ?

@Pauls

To confirm. this is happening in PHOTO. I stated above i put it in the wrong topic. Sorry about that.

Something else i noticed that may help diagnose the issue.

If i don't create a new document. Program open , no doc. Clicking between brushes is immediate. Only once I have drawn with a brush does it take time to switch between BRUSH Categories.

Gary

5 hours ago, Pauls said:

could you let us know which addons you have please

@Pauls

Frankentoon and Daub addons bought from your store and also Frankentoon store.

As mentioned earlier, exact same addons on V1 of photo and no slowdown when switching.

Let me know if you need a more exact list.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Pauls

Seems i have found what has happened. 

When I installed PHOTO. When it imported my settings it duplicated about half of the brush categories. Not sure how this happened. Only about half had (2) Behind them. I went and deleted the duplicate categories and now the switching i much quicker.

So although its now faster, question is why it created duplicated Categories will importing V1 settings? V1 has no duplicates, i did check this.

THanks

Gary

22 minutes ago, thegary said:

So although its now faster, question is why it created duplicated Categories will importing V1 settings? V1 has no duplicates, i did check this.

Were the duplicates standard categories that come with the program, or ones you had added? Or, perhaps, standard categories that you had modified (added brushes, etc.)?

Did you perhaps install V2 multiple times, or press Ctrl while starting the app and do a reset, and respond Yes on multiple occasions when asked if you wanted to migrate V1 content?

-- Walt
PC:

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Were the duplicates standard categories that come with the program, or ones you had added? Or, perhaps, standard categories that you had modified (added brushes, etc.)?

Did you perhaps install V2 multiple times, or press Ctrl while starting the app and do a reset, and respond Yes on multiple occasions when asked if you wanted to migrate V1 content?

@walt.farrell

They are duplicates of the ones that come with the Software. 

I  had not installed the software before, just asked about importing settings from v1 on intial install.

No app resets just straight install and v1 import.

Either way i have it fixed, just weird that it duplicated those Categories of brushes.

Gary

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2023 at 5:12 PM, thegary said:

@walt.farrell

They are duplicates of the ones that come with the Software. 

I  had not installed the software before, just asked about importing settings from v1 on intial install.

No app resets just straight install and v1 import.

Either way i have it fixed, just weird that it duplicated those Categories of brushes.

Gary

Would you mind explaining how did you manage to fix it? I am having the same issue. Switching between the brush categories is really slow.

@thegary @misohoza

I have the same (mis)behavior since version 2. Since I turned off the hardware acceleration, the categories are switched through faster; and that in all programs of the suite.

A warm greeting to the programmers, you should optimize the code for the hardware acceleration with the help of AMD, NVIDIA and INTEL, like the game manufacturers do. But hey, there are bigger issues than hardware acceleration.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!