You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Generating Preview Problem in Affinity Designer

If a file is a bit too complex, I wait a lot when exporting any template (Generating Preview). The AFD is lagging and and nothing is working. When exporting the selection, I cannot select the Selection Only from the Area section. I think it's because Whole Document is selected by default. Therefore, I wait about 1 minute for it to render the Preview.

Do you have a suggestion? Actually, this problem needs to be fixed.

Ekran Resmi 2023-01-28 17.54.40.png

The only option is to create smaller documents (One file per artboard).

it says 15000x54000 pixel, which will bite you in situations like this when exporting to raster files.

You could try to copy/new from clipboard instead of directly exporting.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

51 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

You don't have to wait for this to complete. You can just click the Export button. The slowness of the 'generating preview' function has been mentioned several times in this forum.

Yes, these are a way out. But, if it has been mentioned several times it needs to be fixed in my opinion. At least at this stage, this lagging should not occur. I think a select section should be added by default.

The preview takes the same time as the export itself. It is probably just generating the export data, and rescales it to fit into preview window.

I agree it’s slow, but on the other side I don’t see any option Affinity could make it faster than doing the actual export (minus writing to disk) if you want the preview to be accurate and factoring in all the export settings like

• color format conversions
  • color profile conversions
  • Resizing with chosen resampling
  • matting of transparencies
  • rasterizing for bitmap formats

Since Affinity allows to trigger the actual export before preview is finished - what was the actual problem you need to be fixed?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, I want to standard turn off off the generating preview panel like the example above from Gokhan Eser.

I've this problem too with documents with many layers, size or pages. 

And, Clicking on Export button immediately does not always work or I want adjust file format or sizes. Then preview will reload. 

Why do I want the turn off option? Sometimes you don't need to see/check preview again after a small correction in document. Or… I want to fill in the export settings properly first, after that preview can be generated.