You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Application freeze when shift+click on canvas with multiple text objects selected.

This one is easy to reproduce:
On a new document, create 2 or more text objects, switch to the select tool and shift+click on all the text elements to select them. With the text elements already selected, shift+click on the canvas.

The application will switch to the text edit tool and freeze.
When the file is as simple as the example above, the application is operational again after several seconds, but with complex files it stays frozen (or at least the time it takes to become operational again is longer than I was willing to wait)

At any rate, it doesn't seem to be the right behavior of the select tool to switch to text edit after shift+clicking on the canvas (which seems to be the behavior when there's only one text object selected before shift+clicking on the canvas).

34 minutes ago, Guillermo Espertino said:

On a new document, create 2 or more text objects, switch to the select tool and shift+click on all the text elements to select them. With the text elements already selected, shift+click on the canvas.

I am curious as to what you are expecting to happen. Shift + Click on the Canvas means you want to add the Canvas to the already selected Text Frames. The Canvas is not an actual item.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am curious as to what you are expecting to happen. Shift + Click on the Canvas means you want to add the Canvas to the already selected Text Frames. The Canvas is not an actual item.

I'm not expecting anything. The shift+click on canvas is merely accidental (when you want to click on an actual object to add it to the selection but you miss and click on the empty space instead). It's not something you *want* to do, but it's something might happen from time to time, and it's not ok that the application freezes when it happens, is it?

6 minutes ago, Guillermo Espertino said:

... The shift+click on canvas is merely accidental (when you want to click on an actual object to add it to the selection but you miss and click on the empty space instead). It's not something you *want* to do, but it's something might happen from time to time...

Ah, okay I see. Yes it should probably just give a "There is nothing here to be added. So just ignore this shift + click" message to the Affinity Designer. So I guess there is something missing in the code for this rare situation.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am having similar problem. Very frustrating as it freezes the Designer when just trying to select additional objects.

1. Select several objects, including some text objects 

2. Try to select more objects with shift+click -> cursor changes to text select, but nothing works.

So not only accidental. I had also locked objects in the same artboard, unlocking those helped with the bug.

I was able to replicate this freezing. Most of the time, I had to select text objects, I used artistic text, first then other objects, and had to do so quickly.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "App freezes when shift+click twice in a blank space with Art text or frame selected. " (REF: AFB-6977) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1925".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.