You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V1 still available on App Store?

Users who have purchased V1 can still download it from Serif or Apple app store.

For Apple App Store, Go to the AppStore, and „My Purchases“. 

For Serif Store, simply log in and go to the download section.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

5 minutes ago, shushustorm said:

but it's also quite likely devs pull the build from the App Store, which doesn't allow any future downloading.

It has been pulled from the Store but not from your Store Account if you've purchased it previously.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It has been pulled from the Store but not from your Store Account if you've purchased it previously.

Well, here is the thing: There are 3 stages:

- Visibility on the App Store (V1 is invisible)

- Apple Purchase History (everything keeps being on there, nothing is ever deleted)

- Availability for redownloading (Devs and Apple can pull an app entirely. Even when something shows in the purchase history, it's not guaranteed to offer a download; sometimes, the cloud button's missing, sometimes it doesn't result in downloading.)

10 minutes ago, shushustorm said:

Well, here is the thing: There are 3 stages:

V1 is available in your Apple Store Account for you to download, if you purchased it previously.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, shushustorm said:

Thanks for the info! (Can't like, still ran out of reactions.) I did redownload software like that a lot, but it's also quite likely devs pull the build from the App Store, which doesn't allow any future downloading.

It has been stated (can’t find source, from memory) that Affinity will keep V1 for an undetermined time and even provide fixes if new OS need changes in Apps. Bit it will not provide fixes for other bugs, or new functionality.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks for your replies,

@walt.farrell and @NotMyFault !

I read as well that they keep developing OS bug fixing for V1, so yes, that does indeed mean they'll have to keep at least the latest build of V1 online! So if I decide to buy a Mac in a few months' time, I should still be able to download V1 without having to resort to duplicating a backup and restore from that! (Currently thinking about starting a fresh install for once!)

4 hours ago, shushustorm said:

I'm thinking about buying a new Mac and you typically can have up to 5 activations of an app purchased on the Mac App Store.

There is no 5 activation limit for apps purchased from the MAS. You are thinking about the limit for other items like tunes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

There is no 5 activation limit for apps purchased from the MAS. You are thinking about the limit for other items like tunes.

Interesting! I thought macOS had the same restriction as iOS when managing devices using iTunes, but I guess you can indeed install to unlimited devices. Great to know! Thanks!

• Staff

Serif will not make V1 apps unavailable to those who bought it.

It's a real shame that their standard search is only for live products and doesn't produce different results for owners than non-owners because it looks like the apps have been deleted, but that is the decision that Apple have taken probably for speed and caching reasons. Searching purchased products seems to be the solution for most.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the official statement, @Patrick Connor ! It's alright when you know the system, but without explanation, you never know what the software's company will do. And you generally never know when Apple decides to deprecate, say, 64bit for 128bit or decide it's been too much of a while without an update for the app. But it's great to at least rule out one of those scenarios.