You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot apply texture brush stroke to a border in Designer V2 (latest update)

Hi, I have been using Designer V1 for years mainly for band posters and birthday cards for family etc, prior to using Designer I used Illustrator.

For some reason when I try to add a textured border stroke to a shape it just won't apply. I can still do the same thing in Designer perfectly well, as I always have. There maybe a slightly different approach in V2, but I couldn't imagine why.

I will attach a file from V1 to demonstrate what I'm trying to achieve in V2.

Hope you can point me in the right direction

Thanks Lindsay1661118304_BorderProblem.thumb.jpg.740189c49468d60c354e50131cccc014.jpg 

Hi Lindsay, can you please upload both test files (V1 and V2) if afdesign version?

for me it works perfectly (iPad version shown) in V2.0.4 (and all older).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks, Lindsay.

Strange. It works for me on Windows, and I cannot see anything unusual in what you're doing. Edit: See below. V2 is using Pixel Persona.

As @NotMyFault mentioned, it would be useful to have those sample .afdesign files from you for both V1 and V2.

Edited by walt.farrell
added reference to explanation below

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Please activate the navigator panel and include it in screen recordings.

then, i would deactivate hardware acceleration in settings/performance.

last, save all own brushes by exporting them, and reset brushes to factory.

If nothing above helps, I would reinstall the app.

Do you use only designer, or publisher, too? Those share some of the assets.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

7 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

image.png.32cdbd60ca21e0ea37203813fd15adfe.png

A bit small, but seems you are working in pixel persona. Vector brushes work only in Designer Persona (both V2 and V1)

22 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

A bit small, but seems you are working in pixel persona. Vector brushes work only in Designer Persona (both V2 and V1)

Good catch. Visible in the V2 screen recording above, too, and different from the V1 recording which showed the Designer Persona.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, Lindsay.

Strange. It works for me on Windows, and I cannot see anything unusual in what you're doing. Edit: See below. V2 is using Pixel Persona.

As @NotMyFault mentioned, it would be useful to have those sample .afdesign files from you for both V1 and V2.

Sorry Walt, I didn't save the files, i could do it again.

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Good catch. Visible in the V2 screen recording above, too, and different from the V1 recording which showed the Designer Persona.

I don't have an option to use the brushes in V2 Designer Persona 

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

7 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

In Ver 2 I don't have the option to use/access any brushes in Designer Persona.

Hardware Acceleration was already off (Nvidia Qaudro K2200 card apparently not supported)

2 hours ago, Lindsay Gibb said:

In Ver 2 I don't have the option to use/access any brushes in Designer Persona.

Well, that is the actual issue to solve. 

can you save a test file working correctly in V1, as shown in your video, and open it in V2?
please make a new screen recording.

Great to hear this worked with imported V1 documents.

Seems the brush library got corrupted.

Does it now work for new documents directly in V2?

8 hours ago, Lindsay Gibb said:

Video 1 shows the making of the file in Ver 1

Video 2 shows that same file working okay in Designer Ver2.

These two videos are in the same interface, AD V1 😉
But whatever, it's great that your problem is solved !

1 hour ago, Marc L said:

These two videos are in the same interface, AD V1 😉
But whatever, it's great that your problem is solved !

Yes Marc, you are right, I'd make a lousy scientist !

But just to confirm, the test file created in V1 works fine in V2, but a new file doesn't, so no, the problem isn't solved 😒

So, are you saying you still have no brushes in the Designer Persona of Designer 2, but only if you're working on a new document? If you work on a V1 document in Designer 2, you do have brushes in the Designer Persona?

-- Walt
PC:

Can you make a new screen recoding (similar to my video)

• Designer V2
  • Designer Persona (don’t use pixel persona)
  • Brush Panel should be visible
  • create new document
  • add rectangular shape
  • set stroke as needed, using vector brush

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

So, are you saying you still have no brushes in the Designer Persona of Designer 2, but only if you're working on a new document? If you work on a V1 document in Designer 2, you do have brushes in the Designer Persona?

There are no brush options available in Designer Persona Ver 2  (see screenshot)

The only way it worked was if I composed the file in Ver 1

1681042259_DesignerPersonaV2.thumb.jpg.c07097b2f407b8961b8bc5142533d29a.jpg

Thanks, but not that.

We're talking about whether you have brushes if you look in the Brushes tab in the Designer Persona. Those are the only brushes that would apply a textured stroke. And it seemed you might be saying you had no brushes available there.

If you have them then you apply a textured stroke (only in the Designer Persona) by:

1. Choosing textured line style when editing the Stroke (either in the Stroke panel, or double-clicking the stroke width entry in the Appearances panel) and then
  2. Choosing a brush from the Brushes panel.

-- Walt
PC:

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, but not that.

We're talking about whether you have brushes if you look in the Brushes tab in the Designer Persona. Those are the only brushes that would apply a textured stroke. And it seemed you might be saying you had no brushes available there.

If you have them then you apply a textured stroke (only in the Designer Persona) by:

1. Choosing textured line style when editing the Stroke (either in the Stroke panel, or double-clicking the stroke width entry in the Appearances panel) and then

Problem solved!

Have a look at the new screenshot Walt..

Thanks for your help 😁

Designer Ver 2 SOLVED.jpg

35 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, but not that.

Some of my work with Designer 😀

Urban Winery facebook (1 of 1).jpg

Gildon pompom.jpg

You're welcome :)

-- Walt
PC: