You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Tool Experiencing Severe Lag (Affinity Designer V 2.0.4)

IanGM8

Hello! I'm not great at using forums, but I'm gonna give it a try:

I use a 2019 Macbook Pro, running Ventura 13.2. It has a solid graphics card, as well as a solid processor. Lately, I have been having a strange issue on Affinity Designer since updating: All of it runs smoothly, EXCEPT for the brush tool. I can create/modify shapes and curves no problem. But any time I slide over to the Pixel Persona to use the paint brush the entire app all but freezes. Eventually it reflects the input I have made, but after nearly a minute of wait time, and very gradually; like, we're talking dial up types of patience/waiting. The video attached should hopefully get the idea across.

If there is any pertinent info that I left out let me know, otherwise any insight would be appreciated.

I suspect the issue is down to the physical dimensions of the document, 1,490" x 1,080" and judging by the brush size your document is 144 dpi which is a bit on the big side. At that resolution the paint brush grinds to a halt.

There also appears to be a bug here regarding the document size...

In V1 the largest physical dimensions you can set are determined by the document dpi and are as follows:

• 72 dpi - 3,555.56" x 3,555.56"
  • 96 dpi - 2,666.67" x 2,666.67"
  • 144 dpi - 1,777.78" x 1,777.78"
  • 192 dpi - 1,333.33" x 1,333.33"
  • 300 dpi - 853.33" x 853.33"
  • 400 dpi - 640" x 640"

In V2 under New Document I can create a new 72 dpi document at 3,555.56" x 3,555.56" (the maximum allowed) but I can then change the document dpi to any value which means for example I'm able to create a 5,000 dpi document at 3,555.56" x 3,555.56" which is clearly wrong.

In V1.7.3 setting the document to 72 dpi at 3,555.56" x 3,555.56" when then changing the dpi value, it automatically changes the document dimensions to those in the list above, in V1.10.6 and V2 it doesn't, effectively allowing you to change the dpi to any value you like, i.e., changing the dpi doesn't correctly change the document dimensions to the maximum permitted in V2.

If you actually then create a document in V2 that is 5,000 dpi document at 3,555.56" x 3,555.56", it is physically created and if you then attempt to edit the settings under Document Setup, regardless of the dpi selected the document is now fixed at 51.2" x 51.2" which is the correct maximum size for a 5,000 dpi document and the only way to change those values is to enter a value lower than 51.2" or by selecting a preset.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

9 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I suspect the issue is down to the physical dimensions of the document, 1,490" x 1,080" and judging by the brush size your document is 144 dpi which is a bit on the big side.

The diagonal of a document with those dimensions is about 150 feet, so the typical viewing distance is going to be enormous and 144 DPI is a huge waste of pixels.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The diagonal of a document with those dimensions is about 150 feet, so the typical viewing distance is going to be enormous

Between 225 ft and 300 ft to be exact...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse