You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

fx discrepancies in V1 project

This, unfortunately, is a bug in V1, the Divide Blend Mode in the FX panel is showing the incorrect result, the result in V2 is correct, i.e., "lower layers are lightened by luminance on the upper layer, white has no effect and lightness is increased progressively by grey through to black". When the Divide Blend Mode is used in conjunction with an elliptical gradient the correct result is the lower image below...

You can test this in V1 (if you like) by applying the Divide Blend Mode to the circles using the Layers Panel in place of the FX panel, again using an elliptical gradient, and you will see the results are as per the lower image...

If you also make a like for like comparison between V1 and V2 of all the FX Blend Modes, they are all identical with the exception of Divide which, in V1, gives the upper image.

V1 FX Divide Blend Mode Top (Incorrect) | V2 FX Divide Blend Mode Bottom (Correct)

1438063981_DivideBlendModev1vsv2.thumb.jpg.9c75f6fc133d65ae20d14cced397dc3c.jpg

It is possible to create a workaround by using the interesting pattern incorrectly created using the FX Divide Blend Mode in V1, exporting it and then using this as a clipping mask, this then 'effectively' means it appears in V2 as per V1 though it no longer uses the FX Blend Mode (see attached)...

Perlen Neu.afdesign

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

18 hours ago, Hangman said:

This, unfortunately, is a bug in V1, the Divide Blend Mode in the FX panel is showing the incorrect result

Side note: The Affinity Help page for Layer Blending claims that Divide is one of the most commonly used modes.

Either that's not quite so and nobody stumbled on the misbehaviour, or users are content with the false results. (Or my multi-layered and multi-fx'ed approach was too much for the poor program.) B|

On 1/30/2023 at 8:51 AM, Andreas Scherer said:

Side note: The Affinity Help page for Layer Blending claims that Divide is one of the most commonly used modes.

Well, it's in their list of most commonly used Blend Modes along with Normal, Multiply, Screen, Overlay and Colour Burn but I'm not aware of this bug being previously reported so you could be right, it could be that people just happen to like the odd effect it creates but I'm not convinced Divide is used a great deal, I think if it were for serious work, as in, for it's intended purpose we would have seen plenty of bug reports, but then again, who knows...

It would be nice to see it fixed in V1 so we have compatibility when files are opened in V2 but I have no idea whether there are plans for any further V1 bug fixes at this stage, one for Serif to clarify I think.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff
On 1/30/2023 at 8:58 AM, Hangman said:

...but I have no idea whether there are plans for any further V1 bug fixes at this stage, one for Serif to clarify I think.

Our official answer is here,

Updates to V1 moving forward

While we did say on the FAQ that V1 would no longer receive any updates, I want to clarify that was about new feature updates. We will be updating V1 to fix any critical problems caused by operating system updates in the future. So if the next version of macOS breaks V1 we will endeavour to fix it. There will be a point in time when continuing to maintain V1 in this way will not be tenable, but certainly for the foreseeable future we will continue to patch. In fact, we have an update to V1 queued up for release very shortly with some fixes for Ventura and issues caused by a recent Windows security / quality update. 

so no this issue discussed will not appear in a 1.10.x fix

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon