You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2 2.0.4 still crashing when opening

I previously reported this problem with 2.0.3. When opening a new or existing Publisher 2 file, the app instantly crashes. I've created a new user profile on my mac and under that profile I can open/create as expected (compelling me to switch back and forth between profiles). I can open/create legacy files in Publisher 1.

System: MacBook Pro 1.4 GHz Quad-core i5 running Ventura 13.1

To the best of my knowledge, the only downloaded content I've ever used are purchased fonts. However, I will be happy to report any further occurrences of this.

Besides this issue, I couldn't be happier with Publisher. I split my time between Indesign (work-related=30%) and Publisher (everything else=70%) and am always impressed with what your team has created. Thank you.

I'm having a problem with crashing too, but slightly different circumstances.  I've been using Publisher without any problems today, then I went to open a file (that I haven't worked on for a couple of weeks), and crashing all around.  I've done what you suggested above, but no joy.

Here's the crash report.  I have done the most recent update, shut down my computer and rebooted today.  Will try that again.

Aff Pub Crash.pdf

Crash Report APub2.pdf

36 minutes ago, Jill Wolcott said:

I'm having a problem with crashing too, but slightly different circumstances.  I've been using Publisher without any problems today, then I went to open a file (that I haven't worked on for a couple of weeks), and crashing all around.  I've done what you suggested above, but no joy.

Hi Jill, are there any linked resources in the document? If so, try hiding them from Publisher by renaming them or the folders they're in and then opening the document.

If you create a new document of the same size and then use Document > Add Pages from File, does that work or does that crash, too?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

MikeTO thanks so much for the suggestions.  I renamed the file I had my resources in, and then attempted to bring the pages in, but it just crashes.  I cannot tell whether it is resources or not (and I've learned to just say no to fixing and do it myself after the document is open).

I've had troubles with this on some files and I keep making new versions, solving some of the files and limping ahead, but I'd really like to get at the bottom of it so that I can spend my time doing other things.  

I've tried saving as soon as it imports, but it crashes.

Makes me glad I have a hard copy!  At least I can open an old version and work forward from there.

• Staff

Can you try the attached file and see if there is any difference - I suspect they may still be some corruption though

I notice you're linking IDML files directly - it may be better to convert them to afpub files first and correct any layout differences in those before going on to embed them in another document.

I would also recommend placing all linked files in the same folder and embedding from there. Makes it easier to unlink \ relink them by simply changing the folder name.

Clapham Road NEW(1)-resaved.afpub