You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, MikeW said:

They presumably can be used in a pdf. That is what I have used since the mid 1990s.

But can they be embedded in a PDF? If not, and they can only be installed/used in Affinity apps, won’t that be a problem for most printers? (I suppose they could be converted to curves, but that’s hardly ideal!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

And aren't able to package either so in a sense of no use.

They can be packaged via File > Save as Package. They are not saved in the Fonts directory within the package directory, though. They are in the .afpackage file itself.

Confirmation:

1. I have the fonts installed in Publisher, but not in Designer.
  2. I used one of them in a Publisher file, and saved it as a Package. Fonts directory is empty.
  3. I opened the package in Designer. File is present in the document
  4. When Opening the Package in Designer, the report shows:
    image.png.82240327a41d9318593ffde531485135.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, PaulEC said:

If you use them in a job which is then sent to a pro printers, they won’t be able to print them correctly?

From a quick test they seem to be converted to curves when exported to a PDF file.

affont-test.pdf

Edit: No, it's not that simple. In a test today, I got a PDF where the font was embedded. See post below.

Edited by walt.farrell
New info

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Seems they are pretty much useless, then. At least for me.

They could be of limited use for prototyping to see if one of them works for some project. But you would probably have to purchase the commercial version from the foundry (if there is one) to use it for much of anything outside of an Affinity app. 

EDIT: just for reference, the license agreement is at https://cdn.serif.com/store/resources/publication-typeface-collection/eula-publication-typeface-collection.pdf & in part says:

This product is supplied in Serif Affinity file formats and is distributed by Serif for use with Affinity software products.

So apparently the scope of the licence does limit its use to only the Affinity apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

But like I wrote, not of use for me.

Because you can't use them in other products? Or because the fonts are converted to curves when exporting to PDF? Or ???

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Because you can't use them in other products? Or because the fonts are converted to curves when exporting to PDF? Or ???

Both fonts as curves and not usable in non-Affinity applications. 

Frankly, I cannot understand why Serif would license them for exclusivity in their products AND enforce turning fonts to curves.

That aside from taking the time to create a new file format wrapper to put them in. Boneheaded comes to mind. 

The whole thing isn't in the best interest of their users. 

44 minutes ago, MikeW said:

fonts as curves

I did another test this morning, with different results.

It seems that:

• If you have the .affont file installed in an Affinity application, then when you create a PDF you can embed the fonts, and the PDF will contain text (not curves) using that font.
  • However, if you do not have the .affont file installed in an Affinity application, but instead have accessed it because it's included in a .afpackage file, then an exported PDF will contain the curves, not the actual text. I am not sure if that applies to using .afpackage files with fonts in general, or if this is a new .afpackage behavior specific to .affont files.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

The whole thing isn't in the best interest of their users. 

Why do you say that? At least some Affinity users will be happy to be able to use these fonts, even if it is just in their Affinity projects, & not have to pay expensive licensing fees to do so. For example, a commercial license for the set of 12 Aeroko typefaces would cost well over $100, so even being able to use them for free only in Affinity apps is going to be a boon to some.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Why do you say that? At least some Affinity users will be happy to be able to use these fonts, even if it is just in their Affinity projects, & not have to pay expensive licensing fees to do so. For example, a commercial license for the set of 12 Aeroko typefaces would cost well over $100, so even being able to use them for free only in Affinity apps is going to be a boon to some.

And Google Fonts alone has over 1400 fonts freely available. Why would anyone choose to limit their freedom in choice? Yes, I know there are users that will make that choice.

I have fonts I've used since 1989 that are still usable even when the software company who "freely" supplied them has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Intentional decisions a software company makes that limits, or impedes, a user's freedom to create, collaborate with others or otherwise share assets--a category fonts belong to--with other applications is not in their users' best interest.

There is a balance a software company needs to always be mindful of. Native proprietary file formats? All perfectly kosher. However, should a software company that makes applications for "artistic creatives" not also provide export formats usable in other applications, (nearly) no one would use their software. I see little difference to this "new font format" that is only usable within Serif's Affinity applications.

You and I seem to have different opinions. That is all good and fine with me.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Intentional decisions a software company makes that limits, or impedes, a user's freedom to create, collaborate with others or otherwise share assets--a category fonts belong to--with other applications is not in their users' best interest.

It is only a matter of time before we see some frantic posts here in the forum by a user with a looming deadline - and they have an odd unforseen problem caused by using restricted fonts.

What happens when the font deal changes or goes away? Just look at all the problems with the Apple "document-support" fonts.

Rented fonts have the same problems as rented applications. Own your fonts.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:
  • If you have the .affont file installed in an Affinity application, then when you create a PDF you can embed the fonts, and the PDF will contain text (not curves) using that font.

Correct. I'm currently designing a small photo book with APub V2 and use Aeroko as main font. From the exported PDF I can copy and paste the text just fine.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Why would anyone choose to limit their freedom in choice?

No one is being forced to use these fonts but if they want to use them, even if restricted to use in the Affinity apps, & they can do so for free, what is wrong with Serif giving them that option?

Affinity Photo 

53 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

What happens when the font deal changes or goes away?

Once you have these fonts installed, why would it matter if the licensing deal changes? There is no expiration date on their use, just the restriction that they can only be used in projects created in the Affinity V2 apps. After all, it is not as if Monotype could know if you have them installed & somehow prevent you from using them in that way.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
4 hours ago, thegary said:

Why are these font not  a normal format as TTF for Open font? Much easier to install and use with all software.

Because they aren't licensed to use in all software. They would be much much more expensive to us and to you if they were distributed as TTF

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

34 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

By the way, how does one uninstall .affont files that were manually installed?

For Windows :
C:/users/MyName/.affinity/Designer/2.0/AffinityFonts
Delete the "AffinityFonts" folder to uninstall all fonts or open the folder to select only the ones you want to uninstall.

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Because they aren't licensed to use in all software. They would be much much more expensive to us and to you if they were distributed as TTF

Thank you for the information. Wanted to clarify if I can use them for FILM work. . I cannot.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 5 months later...

I have tried all the suggested options for installing the Typeface Collection fonts using Affinity Publisher 2 on an M1 iMac 24 running Ventura 13.4.1 and none of them work. Your bright 'Import Content' idea simply generated endless error messages (attached) which I had to close individually. Suffice to say, I'm not very impressed.

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 15.49.31.jpg

@Chrislan Have you tried installing AF fonts from the app’s ‘Account’ window?
All your Affinity add-on purchases or Free add-ons should be shown there.
If any are currently not installed they will have a cloud symbol with a down pointing arrow.
For any AF Fonts just click the cloud symbol and they will download and install automatically ready for use.

SCR-20230730-nryn.png.8c661323199804daa95cc221bc4d25d9.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 hour ago, markw said:

@Chrislan Have you tried installing AF fonts from the app’s ‘Account’ window?
All your Affinity add-on purchases or Free add-ons should be shown there.
If any are currently not installed they will have a cloud symbol with a down pointing arrow.
For any AF Fonts just click the cloud symbol and they will download and install automatically ready for use.

SCR-20230730-nryn.png.8c661323199804daa95cc221bc4d25d9.png

Thanks. This worked!