You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For the Publication Typefaces Collection that is part of the Creative Collection, the fonts are provided as .affont files. But I can't seem to find how one should install those. The OS doesn't recognise it as regular fonts and there doesn't seem to be a button to install fonts from within the Affinity suite. Also, the bundle is not showing up in the addons (downloads) section of the user account.

From the install guide:

image.thumb.png.e4bcf5ce16e3eacc68f33e5557035cf4.png

tl;dr How am I supposed to install these?

• Staff

Unzip the contents to a folder.

Inside the Affinity application choose Import Content. This was meant to download from within the application but we have had to make it manual for now (last minute change), sorry. We expect by the next patch that the downloading process will be resolved, but we did not want to delay 2.0.4 any further

Sorry this is not clear, I am getting those install instructions updated, and we will add something inside the ZIP file too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, JoyThoms said:

Had to drag and drop "affont" files to each application separately.

Yes, they're not shared at this point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@walt.farrell The problem (at least for me) is less that the fonts have to be activated in each of the three programs separately, but that the canonical method of using “File / Import content...” as described by @Patrick Connordoesn't work at this time.

(I could, of course, open a genuine bug report, but after dragging all *.affont files into the three app windows all is fine, and I don't want to “uninstall” the fonts in order to reproduce the “bug”.)

@Andreas Scherer: Sorry, but as Import Content worked for me, I can't offer any additional help for that. I just wanted to confirm to @JoyThoms that it was correct (for now) that one needs to install in each of the apps if one wants those fonts in each.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

53 minutes ago, Andreas Scherer said:

I think you are running the Windows version

Yes, as you can tell from my signature if you have them displayed. So perhaps that's the reason.

-- Walt
PC:

On Windows it is sufficient to copy the .affont files into the appropriate subdirectories under C:\users\yourusername\.affinity\[Publisher|Designer|Photo]\2.0\AffintyFonts.

Press Windows key + R. Type shell:UsersFilesFolder\.affinity and then navigate to the appropriate subdirectories.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I just upgraded to V2. I am on Windows 10 and am trying to add the affonts that were included in a bundle. I copied the files into the AffinityFonts folder as stated above and they don't show up under fonts. Do they work and is there another way that I need to access them?

1 hour ago, bhathaway said:

I copied the files into the AffinityFonts folder as stated above and they don't show up under fonts. Do they work and is there another way that I need to access them?

Yes, they should work.

Please provide a screenshot of File Explorer showing the directory you copied them into.

-- Walt
PC:

@bhathaway

You have to import, via File -> Import content. the fonts into one of the Affinity programs, after that, the copied ones should be visible in the other two programs as well.

Sorry for not having written it before.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

53 minutes ago, Komatös said:

You have to import, via File -> Import content. the fonts into one of the Affinity programs, after that, the copied ones should be visible in the other two programs as well.

But File > Import doesn't work on Mac for these files, from other reports.

Drag/Drop onto the app may work.

Also, the 3 applications have separate Fonts folders, so simply loading them into one should not affect the other two.

-- Walt
PC:

39 minutes ago, bhathaway said:

that does work either for me. when I drag them to a document or the canvas background, I get the following error

First, are you sure you're using Affinity 2? That icon looks suspiciously like a V1 Designer icon.

Next, you probably should not drop them onto the document workspace. Try dropping onto the Tools or a studio panel. 

I also think you should remove them from the AffinityFonts folder before trying to reinstall them.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, N.P.M. said:

And aren't able to package either so in a sense of no use.

So, presumably, this means that they can only be printed from an Affinity app. If you use them in a job which is then sent to a pro printers, they won’t be able to print them correctly?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

10 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

So, presumably, this means that they can only be printed from an Affinity app. If you use them in a job which is then sent to a pro printers, they won’t be able to print them correctly?

They presumably can be used in a pdf. That is what I have used since the mid 1990s.