You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert Ellipse to mask on pixel layer, is this possible in desktop version of Affinity?

I have a circle in a photo that I need isolate, much like in the thread below. I am fine doing so with either Elliptical Marquee tool or Ellipse tool, as long as I can adjust the size and placement of the "selection" and then convert to a mask of a given layer. 

I tried making an Ellipse, but this makes a layer over my target layer. 

I tried making a mask layer, clicking it and then adding selection with Ellipse marquee, but when I adjust the size of the ellipse the pixel layer above changes too (stretches).

I've come close by trial and error, but it always ends up fudged in some way.

GOAL: Make first a rough select, then refine it, when convert to mask so that everything around the circle disappears.  EDIT: in addition, I'd like the edges of the circle to be smooth, no pixelated.

The video below shows what I want, but I don't quite follow the finger taps and there is no text description of the final solution.

Thanks!

I think what you want to do is to use clipping .
I’ve attached a short video showing the basics.
To do this you need to drag the layer to be clipped (in this case the “Background” layer) over the name of the shape that will be clipping the other layer.
As you can see, the “Lock Children” setting is very useful.

If this is not what you want then you may need to give more information, preferably including a visual example.

You’ve got both a crop and a mask there, which seems a little much for what I think you want to do, but maybe there’s a good reason for it which I’m missing since I haven’t seen the video and don’t know what the tutor was trying to achieve.

(Not all YouTube videos are reliable learning resources.)

2 hours ago, christerdk said:

This video shows what I experience.

If you want to clip the image with the ellipse, then what you're doing here is correct: drag the image thumbnail roughly slightly under the "Ellipse" name until you see that indented blue line, then let go. The ellipse doesn't even need a fill. In v1, the "sweet spot" where the blue line appears is sometimes hard to find. This behavior has been improved in Affinity v2.

Vice versa, if you want to use a vector shape as a mask, you would drag the ellipse thumbnail over the image thumbnail until you see a vertical blue line.

Sometimes, clipping and masking may return similar or even identical results, but other times each method has its own merits, depending on what you want to achieve next.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

christerdk: In V1, clipping should work the same as in V2 but the Layers Panel will look slightly different – see attached video.
You might need to wait a little longer for the software to clip the layer before moving the mouse pointer away.
Because you have only recorded part of the screen it’s difficult for me to say if there’s something else wrong.

As for the Lock Children functionality, what that does is lock the size and position of the child layers – those ‘inside’ the parent layer – so that they don’t move and/or stretch when you are manipulating the parent layer.

Note: Since V2 is now the ‘version of choice’ for the forums it would probably be useful if you can make it clear that you are using V1 so people don’t give you the wrong advice; this may also help you to get the answers you need more quickly.

@loukash @GarryP Thank you both of you for your answers. I got it to work now by finding that sweet spot where the dragged layer becomes a child layer. 👍🏻

@GarryPOn that topic, I understand the Lock Children functionality and I do need it, but I'm not sure where to find that function? (or icon) I've been searching the forum and online, and I've only found forums posts describing how it's hidden in certain screen resolutions (not the case here I think) and text description of it. Could you give me a hint? 

Apologies for omitting the version number in the initial post, will remember next time.

Good to know; for anyone else who is wondering…

Lock Children is in the Context Toolbar when you are using the Move Tool, and only when the selected layer has children.

Sometimes that toolbar is too long to be displayed on-screen so some of the functionality is put on a ‘jump-list’ which can be accessed via a little chevron icon at the far right – see attached image.

image.png.7b5d1acca2765aeaadd08857847b033e.png

13 minutes ago, christerdk said:

I got it to work now by finding that sweet spot where the dragged layer becomes a child layer.

Alternatively, you can also achieve the same if you select and place the "future" child layer(s) above the "future" parent layer and select Layer > Arrange > Move Inside.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2