You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to duplicate an art board and have the layer structure you already have on the first art board carry over to a duplicated art board? I just created a second art board and copy dragged my art over to the second art board and it lost all of the layer hierarchy I had set up. Do I need to copy and paste to retain the structure?

Thanks.

edit - just tried the copy and paste method and it didn't honour the layer structure it juste pastes everything in...

I selected an artboard with layers and copied it using Option-drag, and Cmd-J, and both copied over all layers intake. 

I may be misunderstanding your requirements.  I did a copy and paste and had my layers in place too.  ?  Not sure I understand your problem.  Sorry.  Better wait for an expert.

All I can think of is that I had the artboard layer selected. 

Thanks guys. It seems to work when duplicating the layer from the layers palette. I was initially just creating a new artboard in the document then copy dragging everything in the main document window not the layer in the palette... 

Maybe an improvement would be when copy dragging elements to a new or different artboard in the document window the layer hierarchy copies as well to the new artboard?

Also on a side note when you do create a copy of a layer in the layers palette the name is the same. It might be an improvement to add "copy" after the name?