You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Outlines get blurry on edges

Either make the square bigger and align inside instead of outside, or add a stroke (with join set to mitre) instead of using the outline fx.
(I'm assuming the problem, going on your attachments, is that you want a square, rather than round, corner. The reason that you are seeing some antialiasing in your exported image is that the image is very small size with low res.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Or simply duplicate the rectangle, increase size of lower rectangle by 2px over center anchor point, set color to red. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Note: You can see how the design will be exported (up to a point) by going to Pixel View Mode.

In this case, if you want to get rid of the semi-transparent pixels you can:
1. Remove the Outline Quick Effect;
2. Set the Stroke to Outside and 2px;
3. Change the Blend Options Coverage Map to a flat line. (Put the Coverage Map line at the top of the graph to fill in the whole of the pixels on the corner, as in how you requested earlier.)

See attached image.

image.thumb.png.3868213d86fda54bdc0111efdb1d181c.png

Thank you guys for answering my concerns

8 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Either make the square bigger and align inside instead of outside, or add a stroke (with join set to mitre) instead of using the outline fx.
(I'm assuming the problem, going on your attachments, is that you want a square, rather than round, corner. The reason that you are seeing some antialiasing in your exported image is that the image is very small size with low res.)

Yea actually the stroke does that, but it only applies to shapes but not on pixel layers (unless there is something i'm missing)

7 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Or simply duplicate the rectangle, increase size of lower rectangle by 2px over center anchor point, set color to red. 

The rectangle is for the sake of the simplicity of example, I'm talking about the feature that doesn't accomplish what it is meant for.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Note: You can see how the design will be exported (up to a point) by going to Pixel View Mode.

In this case, if you want to get rid of the semi-transparent pixels you can:
1. Remove the Outline Quick Effect;
2. Set the Stroke to Outside and 2px;
3. Change the Blend Options Coverage Map to a flat line. (Put the Coverage Map line at the top of the graph to fill in the whole of the pixels on the corner, as in how you requested earlier.)

See attached image.

image.thumb.png.3868213d86fda54bdc0111efdb1d181c.png

that's a nice tweak to know, I didn't know about it, but still the stroke don't work on pixel layers

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

You can achieve both – no additional pixels & no rounded, blurred corners – by placing the effect outline inside.

560760970_strokevseffectinside.thumb.jpg.a703403e104c5caac32684831fd7ba2f.jpg

1372205814_strokevseffectinsideresult.png.c00e1d8b49c9ef435f701c61f6c5ac65.png

Sadly this doesn't achieve what I'm trying to do, I don't wanna hide details of the outlined image

Apparently stroke has many features, but only works on shapes layers, maybe I gotta live with that until they fix it.

12 minutes ago, Xakiru said:

Sadly this doesn't achieve what I'm trying to do, I don't wanna hide details of the outlined image

Apparently stroke has many features, but only works on shapes layers, maybe I gotta live with that until they fix it.

You can use an additional object + layer nesting to enable the wanted workflow and result.

This way strokes can get visually applied to pixel content, too. Also, converting a layer of type "pixel" to an "image" layer might help.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 hours ago, thomaso said:

You can use an additional object + layer nesting to enable the wanted workflow and result.

This way strokes can get visually applied to pixel content, too. Also, converting a layer of type "pixel" to an "image" layer might help.

Hmm I can't find this pixel to image conversion, or do I have to save it then import it ?

image.png.4deddd2037c1fdc7cd8e12500f860666.png

15 hours ago, Xakiru said:

Yea actually the stroke does that, but it only applies to shapes but not on pixel layers (unless there is something i'm missing)

Sorry. I'm getting confused. (That happens to me quite easily 😄) You attached a file with a shape to your original post, but now you're talking about "pixel layers"!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 hours ago, Xakiru said:

Hmm I can't find this pixel to image conversion,

This option occurs only with a right-click on the object in the layout window, not in the Layers panel nor in the main menu.

2011477941_converttoimageAD.jpg.cb690f38787b11ab26a843ed82a2bb5f.jpg

Just note, accordingly it always converts to a rectangular shaped image only / thus a stroke will get applied to the rectangular bounding box.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1