You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Data Merge number precision

Hi,

Hopefully I'm posting this question in the right place.

I'm using data merge to pull through time results from excel, all fine with that.  In excel I have the cell formatted to m:ss.sss (ie 1:34.572) as its to do with accurate time splits.  However when this comes through Publisher is rounding this, so rather than being 1:34.572 it comes through as 1:35.  Is there a way to change the precision of the text coming through so its formatted to the same?

I assume the text box can be formatted to match this however I can't find the option for this, can anyone advise?

Thanks,
Ewan

My ancient excel doesn't understand m:ss.sss and it gets shortened to m:ss.ss so the seconds are repeated
m:ss.000 works but Publisher V1 doesn't understand it so the only way I image.png.02ced21c42af8f8dedc9e874f7e2fc4a.pngcould get ms to work in a data merge is to use a csv file rather than xlsx

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Hi David,

Thanks for your response, never considered that csv is a better way to do data merge, that's resolved this.

You are also correct with your note on formatting in excel, it is mm.ss.000, not mm.ss.sss as I suggested as that just repeats the seconds number.

Ewan

You can use Excel sheet as data source but need to use TEXT() function to format data as text (note below that formatting notation is regional, so below the arguments are separated using a semicolon, the decimal is given with a comma and hour with a "t" (for "tunti", Finnish for hour)). English notation would be TEXT(A2, "h:mm:ss.000").

TIME() function would return rounded seconds, but e.g. NOW() returns an unrounded value. If exact values are wanted to be returned with TIME(), you would enter something like =TIME(0;12;32)+0,24/24/60/60., or when using English regional settings, =TIME(0,12,32)+0.24/24/24/60) 

image.png.a905129dcadc29c2b8676e20ac7d6758.png