You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping dragged curve points

(Affinity Designer V2) I wonder if there's a way to snap a dragged point of a curve. I made sure all possible snapping option are enabled. The node tool snapping modes are enabled and I want to drag a point of a curve to a grid point. But it seems no snapping mode will allow this. Any ideas?
Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

34 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Snap to grid also set in snapping?

Of course ... it seems like dragging a curve does not snap to anything (maybe because the initial mouseclick is not considered a "point")

9YMWleps6s.png.7c71a3514053179c8fe16f1dc77a4387.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

This video shows a line (path) from the pen tool.

When selecting the node tool, you can see that the (preselected) point I'm trying to grab is placed on the path as well as on the grid (snapping to grid). When I grab the point and try to move it, the point (supposed to be located at the tip of my mouse) does not snap to the grid or to anything else any more! When releasing the point I can grab a new point and this will again be snapping to the grid and the line again.

To snap such a curve to a specific point while keeping nodes in place, you may need to switch to the Transform Mode.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 hours ago, prophet said:

I think the issue is that you are not actually grabbing a point or node, you are moving the curve itself. The curve does not seem to follow the snapping options.

Why would various/different points on the curve be "pre-selected" before I grab the curve? Not need for it, if it doesn't matter. And if you just drag "the curve" it should not matter where you grab it - but the point you grab is essential for how the curve looks after dragging. So we are talking about a specific point when you grab the curve - why shouldn't you be able to place this specific point at a specific location (snapping point)??? It would be an essential feature for symetrical "constructions" (of course you will find workarounds).

5 hours ago, loukash said:

To snap such a curve to a specific point while keeping nodes in place, you may need to switch to the Transform Mode.

That does not seem to have an effect.

2 hours ago, DarkClown said:

but the point you grab is essential

Indeed, where you grab the curve does affect how the curve will look, but I think what's really happening when you drag the curve is you are adjusting the rays of the nodes at either end of the curve. You can adjust these independently, but when you pull the curve, you are manipulating them both simultaneously.

2 hours ago, DarkClown said:

why shouldn't you be able to place this specific point at a specific location

I don't disagree. And if we can get that to happen, I would also be in favor of making the rays themselves follow snapping protocols.

1 hour ago, ,,, said:

image.png.520478b3ecd890c68fff0df68adcaed2.png

As it says - this snapping mode refers to the handles of the rays - not the point where you grab the curve. But in fact using this to manipulate the single rays does the job as well. It's just that you have to edit both handles instead of one - on the other hand it may be even more flexible. And I guess one needs to be rational what to suggest as additional features.

4 hours ago, DarkClown said:

As it says - this snapping mode refers to the handles of the rays - not the point where you grab the curve.

I know what it says and does and doesn't do. I was responding to a specific comment by @prophet, and even quoted the comment to make that clear.