You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newly downloaded Affinity suite is not responsive

5 hours ago, debraspicher said:

You can also find the MSI installer in the account page (it's towards the bottom ) where your downloads are. This is a different installer and does not install the same as the other "default" (MSIX) (i.e. unsandboxed). I really recommend to uninstall the current version because telling apart the MSIX vs MSI version can be challenging depending on how you typically open your programs. So you may accidentally open up the old one without realizing. To make it easier, maybe just uninstall one of them and run the new MSI installer for the one you uninstalled. Then open to test.

I'll even screen grab so you can see where to find it on the page:

image.thumb.png.a8ed5011ff513d406f226f8fb43e09ca.png

230128_screen-grab-grab-msi-installers.gif.2170d5ee87ff12f77f25ba2ee02febae.gif

Please let us know if that alleviates the issue.

Also, I'm sorry you are having this issue. Tech can be frustrating.

Oh, thanks for pointing this out, I wasn't aware we finally got .EXE-versions of the apps – nice!

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

I'm having this issue but it's not newly downloaded for me, I have been running V2 for some time.

I don't know if it's related to the other threads about files opened from server but I sometimes do work with Photo files on a server. But all three apps are not responding upon attempting to open them.

I have tried uninstall/reinstall and clearing settings via holding down Ctrl. I have also updated from 2.03 to 2.04. No success so far.

I have installed from MSIX and I'm on Windows 10.

19 hours ago, OzNate said:

Solved my issue by choosing the last option when you hold Ctrl while starting up - "Deactivate Affinity 2 apps"

After this I was able to step through reactivation and the apps started normally.

That's interesting. I might try that before I do the MSI thing  but mine isn't activated in the first place. 

Will do it now.

OK' everyone, I tried the deactivate thing on the reset window. That didn't work.

I looked at the event viewer log thing. Dont know what I was looking for or at but screenshot the page for the moderators if I ever hear from them.

Then I uninstalled all the programmes and reinstalled using the MSI EXE thing. I really believed it would work. It didn't. The same issue occured... 

It might be the settings on my laptop. 

Thanks for all your suggestions

1 hour ago, SMW said:

OK' everyone, I tried the deactivate thing on the reset window. That didn't work.

I looked at the event viewer log thing. Dont know what I was looking for or at but screenshot the page for the moderators if I ever hear from them.

Then I uninstalled all the programmes and reinstalled using the MSI EXE thing. I really believed it would work. It didn't. The same issue occured... 

It might be the settings on my laptop. 

Thanks for all your suggestions

Can you try Right Click > "Run as Administrator"... that's a bit strange it won't load at all.

The MSIX in particular wouldn't have had issues with interference with other apps since it is sandboxed.

@debraspicher

It definitley installs under both MSIX and MSI. 

It just doesn't load or is it run? Either way it doesn't open so I can't use it.

'Run as administrator'??  When do I right click? On the app thumbnail (that is all I have) or anytime or what, where or when? I really mean it when I say tech isn't my thing.

Loosing all hope

14 minutes ago, SMW said:

'Run as administrator'??  When do I right click? On the app thumbnail (that is all I have) or anytime or what, where or when? I really mean it when I say tech isn't my thing.

Before you launch it, right-click and select the Run as Administrator.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Regardless, MSIX or MSI, it should have launched after authorizing the change. I don't know if this will help, but it used to years ago, when a lot of other things failed..

Try Restarting your computer, not shutdown, but Restart.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hello if you are still following this now tedious topic.

I am liaising with a moderator via email. They think that it is something to do with the  Intel graphic  card and a poor OpenCL .....  don't ask.

So he says to disable it and then launch the apps. How to here: 

I am in the midst of trying it now. I had uninstalled everything because I was vexed so reinstalling again now.

Hope this is the key. Don't how  I am supposed to update the Intel openCL thing though. 

Will let you know if I have any joy.

🤨

Looks like I didn't submit this.

Update, I did all those tings and nothing happened. The command given wasn't recognised so waiting for the moderator to come back with the next solution. Sigh

• 2 weeks later...

I still have no access to any of the affinity apps. 

Nothing suggested works. 

I think that my graphics card does not support the apps AMD Radeon

I am looking to buy a new laptop but not just yet.

Seems as thought the moderators or Affinity Team have abandoned me.

FYI, yesterday I allowed Windows 10 to run an update and today I had this problem again. 🤔

After resetting in Publisher (via holding Ctrl and choosing to reset including "Deactivate" option), it would no longer start or show a splash screen, but Photo and Designer gave a splash screen, then an error:

"Sorry, there was a problem launching the application. Cannot communicate with other Affinity apps. Please ensure the app is up-to-date and that your firewall isn't blocking local network traffic."

Restarting the system fixed the error message and apps now work again (obviously had to reactivate).

So it seems to be a problem with activation, and brings back nightmares we used to have with a certain other creative software company's products, so I do hope this can be fixed. 🙏🏻

@OzNate

That is frustrating.

Well I spoke too soon about my Affinity access. 
I can only get Aff. Publisher right now. The others Aff. Designer and Photo don't work still. Might try restarting.

I was able to disable the OpenCL through the run command (or something) See the Feb 4th post above for the codes. 

Apparently the graphic cards that come with MS or Windows 11 ( I dont know) are notoriously poor at accommodating Affinity programmes.

SMW

• Staff
On 2/19/2023 at 9:10 PM, OzNate said:

"Sorry, there was a problem launching the application. Cannot communicate with other Affinity apps. Please ensure the app is up-to-date and that your firewall isn't blocking local network traffic."

This issue is different to the one @SMWis experiencing with V2, as their issues seem to be related to openCL.  But from looking into this error, i can see another user was getting the same error and this has since been fixed by our Dev team, so you shouldn't see this error once we release the next update.  I also believe the fix has made it into the latest beta for Affinity V2, which you can get access to by reading this post.  If you do encounter this error again, please create a new thread, as like i've said, this is a different issue to what @SMW is posting about.

@SMWcan you try using the command to disable openCL for Designer again and see if it launches?

'can you try using the command to disable openCL for Designer again and see if it launches?'

I have tried the commands for Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo and they don't work. Comes up as a error and unrecognized command.

At a loss.

SMW

• 2 weeks later...

Oh My Goodness. 

What a palaver.

After downloading, installing and uninstalling launching these different Affinity apps about 40 times, I  finally have access to the full suite. 

Thanks to Lee at Affinity for sticking with it and not being condescending.

I can get started on my ventures now.

If I change computers does it mean that I have to do this all over again? I hope not😒

Peace

SMW