You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer gets confused by multiple monitor setup. Tool panels are shifted on restart.

funksy

I have a three monitor setup, main monitor and two others on the sides. On every computer reboot my workspace gets all messed up. Designer moves tool panels, sometimes to the left, sometimes to the right. Below are screenshots illustrating the issue. It doesn't happen with all of the panels. For example the main tool panel never gets moved. Sometimes the panels are so way off screen that I can't even drag them back and I have to use the "Reset Studio" function. No other program does this.

1. My usual workspace setup:

adm1.png.47e2b8bcc5cc3ff1ef2c3e95d848249a.png

2. After restart:

adm2.jpg.638097e9bc11e13a4694139f75594996.jpg

My rig specs if that's of any use:

Win 11 Pro (22H2)
Intel Core i9-10980XE @ 3.00GHz
64 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX3080 Ti

I update drivers regularly.

7 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

You can create studiopresets for any workspace setup.
Create just one that you like and when you startup choosing a setup it will reset to this studio preset.
You can create multiple workflow setups.

Yes I know, thanks. Problem is, Designer corrupts those presets also. Below is a screenshot of my workspace after I tried to reset to one of my presets. As you can see I can't even drag two of the panels back to view since their headers are off screen. I should have mentioned it in the first post.

"Reset Studio" function is the only thing that works and I have to do it after every. single. restart.

adm3.png.8bc1ac3ccd37d2a2dd681fbc2c1c29fd.png

44 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Not trying to be daft here but it works here with 2 monitor setup.
Maybe its the setup on windows that makes it miss behave?

I do have a bit of a mixed setup. Monitors with different resolutions and one is even turned vertical. The thing is, I use software like Blender and Adobe CC daily and they've never had similar issues. I have similar type of floating panel layout in Photoshop and they align just fine. In Blender I even have different windows open on different monitors. This is 100% Affinity Designer issue. I never turn off my monitors and do driver updates and cleanups regularly (Driver Booster).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @funksy,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I have tested this here using my dual monitor Windows setup and I have been unable to replicate this issue - after restarting my PC the Studio panels were in the same location as they were when last closing the Affinity app, so I'm going to need more information here.

Can you please confirm for me, what resolution are your monitors, and do you have display scaling percentages set in Windows Display settings for these monitors?

Is the Affinity app being opened and closed on your 'main' monitor, or on one of your secondary displays?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you for your reply, @Dan C.

I just updated to 2.0.4. and the issue seems to have been fixed. After three restarts, I'm unable to replicate the problem. All my tool panels are where I left them. So, good job I guess :)

For the record my setup is like this:

monitors.png.759e94ffa2fb3435ec889ea111285afe.png
AD opens on my main monitor. The scaling on all of my monitors is set to 100%.

monitor_scaling.png.25abbe13d2f507bbe99f080732bc346d.png

I'll get back to you if the issue comes back. Thanks!