You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting outlined adds unwanted padding

Are the pixel values in the Transform Panel actually integers, or do they just look like integers because of rounding?

Try changing the Decimal Places settings to three (or more) via Preferences / User Interface and check again.

Are there any Quick Effects applied to the parent layer(s) of that layer?

When you export that layer, how do you export it? File → Export, or the Export Persona?

Note: Full-screen screenshots are often more useful than small screen-grabs as we get more information at the same time.

Side note: This happens in both V1 and V2.

Here I started a new document of 256x256px
image.png.2b15a0a4e574f27d7cf13bd57bb1f559.png

I added a black square of 124x124px + outline of 2px (which becomes 4px since it's from both sides), I export to PNG (Ctrl+Alt+Shift) and here is the result. 

image.png.7aff2e406c673e9c0e2fd789abd99b50.png

Just to make sure, I've just set everything in decimal places to 0 (I have no idea what these do).
image.png.eabc0b3de621d0c142e9407e3f7c284f.png

The result png file (opened in affinity):

image.png.3253f35212d0e3ed03da50d7a46949b3.png

I attached the file, just in case.

result.png

padding.afdesign

Outline leads to partially transparent pixels. The export includes them, even if they are barely visible. 

better use stroke to outside. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, Xakiru said:

I export to PNG (Ctrl+Alt+Shift)

I think you meant “Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S” to get to the export dialog.
Have you tried using the Export Persona instead?

1 hour ago, Xakiru said:

Just to make sure, I've just set everything in decimal places to 0

Setting the Decimal Places settings to zero will not show any decimal places.
If you do as I said earlier, “Try changing the Decimal Places settings to three (or more)” then you should be able to see the decimal places, if there are any.

As NotMyFault said above, in this sort of case you probably should be using a Stroke on the Outside rather than the Outline Quick Effect.

7 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Outline leads to partially transparent pixels. The export includes them, even if they are barely visible. 

better use stroke to outside. 

Same result with stroke my friend
image.png.76b27f85df21276c778925628db652df.png

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

I think you meant “Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S” to get to the export dialog.
Have you tried using the Export Persona instead?

Setting the Decimal Places settings to zero will not show any decimal places.
If you do as I said earlier, “Try changing the Decimal Places settings to three (or more)” then you should be able to see the decimal places, if there are any.

As NotMyFault said above, in this sort of case you probably should be using a Stroke on the Outside rather than the Outline Quick Effect.

Yea I meant clrl+alt+shift+S
I didn't try to use persona export cuz I'm not planning to cut out every single item I'm exporting while they are already in separate layers.
I didn't read well about the "three or more", I changed it to 3, and it somehow worked, what does the decimal places for unit mean ?
image.png.be05f5a83a8b389fbabf38e63f74b8b4.pngimage.png.7489486fc71defe6a11d302b71f9e00b.png

This is a old bug unearthed again. Probably a rounding issue. Clip canvas shows the extra pixel, too. 
If you rasterize and trim, no extra pixel. 

If you add strokes or outlines, this will add the stroke width to the canvas. Minor deviations will lead to 1 extra pixel outside, as exported files by Affinity will always have „rounded up“ number of pixels. If you set a stroke of 1.9px, no extra pixels will be added. Visual result is almost what you want

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

55 minutes ago, Xakiru said:

... what does the decimal places for unit mean ?

It means how many decimal places will be displayed in the UI, but that has no effect on the actual values used, which is to about 8 decimal places of precision.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

This is a old bug unearthed again.

It's in 1.10.6 as well.

If you rasterize and trim, no extra pixel.

There are a few other workarounds without rasterizing:

• use Align Stroke Inside only
  • Expand Stroke

If you set a stroke of 1.9px, no extra pixels will be added.

In case of the Outline Effect, even 1.999999 px width will fix it.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Xakiru,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I am able to replicate this issue here and therefore I have logged this with our development team to be resolved in a future update.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!