You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing graphics in the Layers panel

Hopefully an easy one for someone to help me with ! ...Ive got some missing thumbnail line graphics created with the pen tool in the layers panel for a various coloured line. I realise some lines are black lines on a black background and so appear  'invisible' but the red ones should show.  Is there a simple way to toggle the graphic on like the others in the layers window? Is it possible to change the default background of the thumbnails to say grey? Couple of photos attached. Many thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 10.20.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 10.27.58 PM.png

Welcome to the forums @Koyander

Sometimes the layer thumbnails need a little bit of time to update.
Also, if you have a thin curve which is large in overall size/length then the curve may not be visible when shrunk down to a thumbnail.

Would you be able to share a copy of the document, or maybe one which only contains the layer in question?

As for the thumbnail background, use the ‘hamburger menu’ at the top-right of the Layers Panel and choose a background from the Thumbnail Background menu.

image.png.56933891f71e054fc37d198e6d22a2f1.png

Hello Koyander and welcome🙂
The thumbnail image is there for layer 'Old wire Red', but as it’s just a single thin dotted line it’s always going to be problematic to display it the thumbnail space available.
Effectively 50% of that line is composed of the spaces between the dots! So even if you have a light thumbnail background it’s still hard to see.

I see you are using Designer v1 so I would just say here that in the v1 Affinity apps there is a known intermittent problem with the apps sometimes, and I stress only sometimes, temporarily failing to generate any layer thumbnails (though I don't think that is the case here). But when that happens they do come back, eventually.
A bug that so far I have yet to see in the v2 apps.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

To follow on from @markw if you use Large Layer Thumbnails it's still very hard to see, if you select the layer and add an FX like outer glow the line can be made to be more visible in the layers panel. You can turn the glow off when needed.

image.thumb.png.424e14ae345a4e1d18a75991677f26fa.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions