You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo, Frequent Crashes, White Balance Sliders Do Nothing To Photos

I purchased the software only 1 day ago and I've already had several crashes in the middle of doing an edit.  The program seems to lag, says "Not Responding" at the top of the window, then crashes.  I lose all of the work I have done to the photo.  Also, in the develop mode adjusting the sliders or number values in "white balance" does nothing to the image.  Not a good first impression so far and glad I decided against buying Designer and Publisher until I became more familiar with the products.  Hoping this if fixed soon.  Window 10 (all current updates installed), I7 8550U, 16 GB.

Edited by touchdowntn

• Staff

@touchdowntn

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

2 hours ago, touchdowntn said:

I figured out...

You are correct. Sorry that Affinity Photo develop persona does this in build 2.0.3 It will be fixed in 2.0.4 which will likely be released this week. In the meantime you can alternatively use a white balance adjustment layer (instead of using the White Balance UI in the develop persona) as the adjustment method does work in 2.0.3.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Sorry that you have experienced this problem with the 2.0.3 release of the Affinity Suite. 

We have now released 2.0.4 on all platforms, and using that build this problem no longer occurs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@wim

Sorry, you are correct, the slider issue was not part of the crash fix that I posted about. I will notify the UI team 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 1/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@wim

Sorry, you are correct, the slider issue was not part of the crash fix that I posted about. I will notify the UI team 

I'm a product photographer. I often have to apply the same settings to 200-300 photos. Since 2.0.3 the white balance issues persist. They said this would be fixed with the 2.0.4 update, but no. When do you think the problem will be solved? This makes it very difficult to do my job. (Sorry the grammatical errors, Google Translater 😁)

@Csala Tibor

You can change the values by typing the numbers by hand.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

5 hours ago, Csala Tibor said:

I'm a product photographer. I often have to apply the same settings to 200-300 photos.

1 hour ago, Csala Tibor said:

thanks, I know, but 200-300 photos is inconvenient, but for now there is nothing else. 😞

Are we talking about raw Photographs? If yes then you can process one raw image and store the White Balance in a preset then apply that preset to the other 200 - 300 raw files by clicking on the preset's name in the list.

If you want you can use the Macro to record the Development by using the option to have raw files developed as Embedded or Linked. Then it is a case of using a Batch process with that macro. This will only work with raw files not other formats. It is more involved so if you are using raw I'll walk you through it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Are we talking about raw Photographs? If yes then you can process one raw image and store the White Balance in a preset then apply that preset to the other 200 - 300 raw files by clicking on the preset's name in the list.

If you want you can use the Macro to record the Development by using the option to have raw files developed as Embedded or Linked. Then it is a case of using a Batch process with that macro. This will only work with raw files not other formats. It is more involved so if you are using raw I'll walk you through it.

Thanks! The problem is that if I don't move the white balance slider, the white balance doesn't change even though I saved the preset value. So for every image I have to move the white balance slider to make it work, which freezes my workflow.

• Staff

There are still a few issues with the White Balance as you've pointed out. As for the Presets - if you save one, load a new raw it displays said preset but does not take affect until you re-select it from the Presets list.

• Staff
16 hours ago, Csala Tibor said:

Thanks! The problem is that if I don't move the white balance slider, the white balance doesn't change even though I saved the preset value. So for every image I have to move the white balance slider to make it work, which freezes my workflow.

Hi @Csala Tibor,
This is another known issue (specific to the white balance preset) that's logged with development but wasn't fixed for 2.0.4. I've updated/bumped the issue to bring it up to dev's attention. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Develop Persona - Last used preset shown in list but not applied" (REF: AFP-522) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1925".
This fix is available in the latest customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, Patrick Connor said:

The issue "Develop Persona - Last used preset shown in list but not applied" (REF: AFP-522) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1925".
This fix is available in the latest customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

Unfortunately, the bug was not fixed in 2.2...
I'm a professional photographer, this bug really hinders my work.
They have been promising to fix the problem for a very long time, but they never fix it.

• Staff

@Csala Tibor

Thanks for letting us know and sorry there still seem to be some circumstances where this fix does not work for you. We have checked and the original recipe was addressed, so there must be a similar recipe that is still not fixed. Please can I ask you to make a new Bugs forum thread and describe your process or upload a video and we will see if we can replicate it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd