You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush strokes on pixel layers not showing up until moving the cursor around

jdkn

Sometimes, when I make a brush stroke, it doesn't show up until I shake the cursor around a bit. Sometimes gets stuck in this state and restarting the application/machine doesn't help.

• This occurs with and without Metal compute acceleration enabled
  • With Metal compute acceleration disabled, using the 'Software' Display mode (in Settings>Performance), I cannot reproduce this issue (but of course that's dead slow)
  • With Metal compute acceleration disabled, using any other Display mode ('OpenGL (Basic)', 'OpenGL', 'Metal'), this issue occurs
  • This occurs in both Photo 2 and Designer 2

22 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

You say you restarted the iPad. Did you do a Forced Restart as well which initialises more of the iPad hardware than a normal power off and on?

Have you tried saving all of your work outside of the app in an iCloud folder and deleting and re-installing the app?

Nah I'm on macOS on a MacBook Pro, not iPad, so just a standard turn-it-off-and-on-again of the laptop.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3
macOS 13.1 (22C65)
Apple M1 Pro

In your video we can't see enough in the Layers panel. For example, we can't see the layer you're trying to paint on.

Can you provide another recording, or even just a screenshot, showing that, please?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Based on a brush size of 100px, zoom level 22% and how tiny I looks in the video you are probably have a huge canvas exceeding 10.000px.

I can create similar brush lag when using extreme document sizes like e.g. 50000px width.

as number of pixels to be painted increase squared, there are performance scaling limits. What works snappy with 4000px may start to degrade at 40000px, and there isn’t much against it.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks everyone for responding, I really appreciate it. It was always quite unpredictable when this bug was going to occur and I wasn't able to get a small, reliable reproducible example. I have updated to 2.0.4. I can't reproduce the issue at the moment. I've attached (a redacted version of) the file that was causing my trouble before in case it does prove useful.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:45 PM, walt.farrell said:

In your video we can't see enough in the Layers panel. For example, we can't see the layer you're trying to paint on.

Can you provide another recording, or even just a screenshot, showing that, please?

The layer I was drawing on was the 'Sketch' layer of the attached file.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Can you attach the file? It looks like you're working on an artboard - was this from V1 by any chance or just opened from V2 Designer?

It was just opened from V2 Designer. I find artboards handy for resizing canvases visually, but I could avoid using that feature if they are known to cause problems? I've attached a reduced version of the file.

BugRepro3.afphoto

27 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Based on a brush size of 100px, zoom level 22% and how tiny I looks in the video you are probably have a huge canvas exceeding 10.000px.

I can create similar brush lag when using extreme document sizes like e.g. 50000px width.

as number of pixels to be painted increase squared, there are performance scaling limits. What works snappy with 4000px may start to degrade at 40000px, and there isn’t much against it.

The canvas size is not especially extreme, 5361x5361.

• Staff

There is a delay when I paint on that layer you mentioned, however I do not need to redraw the canvas for the stroke to appear. If I disable Metal in Preferences it improves slightly which is a bit of a surprise to be honest. It was even worse on Windows too.

I'll get this logged.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

There is a delay when I paint on that layer you mentioned, however I do not need to redraw the canvas for the stroke to appear. If I disable Metal in Preferences it improves slightly which is a bit of a surprise to be honest. It was even worse on Windows too.

I'll get this logged.

That's interesting. I never experienced this as a lag in which I just had to wait, I only experienced this situation in the video where I had to hover and move the cursor over the area to get it to redraw. Anyway, thanks for logging it.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Can you go to Settings > Performance and set the Retina Rendering to High Quality (Slowest) and see if it makes any difference?

Still no obvious lag for me. As mentioned above, I can't reproduce the redrawing bug anymore anyway so still can't see that after this change in Retina Rendering setting. But will of course let you know if I come across it again.