You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

remove hyperlink styles on Export to PDF for press

I have looked and searched and cannot find the answer to the issue of how to produce a press ready PDF when exporting from Publisher that removes the styling on hyperlinks. For a web version it makes sense to have the hyperlinks visually underlined  in blue to indicate they are URLS but for a print version we don't want to have the hyperlinks styled. We had this option with InDeign and i am sure there is a way in Publisher but cannot find out how!  I have the option  Include Hyperlink OFF but still the URLs are styled on output. ( screen shot shows export options and on lower right  press ready  PDF with styling still in place.)

exposrt.png

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

There isn't a way to do that automatically. Perhaps Affinity could add a feature named "Disable hyperlink character styles" which would simply export the PDF without any of the styles you applied to hyperlinks. Note that you can apply a different style to each hyperlink so it would have to disable all of them.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

12 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

There isn't a way to do that automatically. Perhaps Affinity could add a feature named "Disable hyperlink character styles" which would simply export the PDF without any of the styles you applied to hyperlinks. Note that you can apply a different style to each hyperlink so it would have to disable all of them.

Cheers

UNBELIEVABLE!  This is a fundamental requirement..what a disappointment. So do i have to duplicate the final .afub file, then remove hyperlink styles, to then produce a print version of the project? Or is there another work-around?  Other suggestions?   

15 minutes ago, bici said:

UNBELIEVABLE!  This is a fundamental requirement..what a disappointment. So do i have to duplicate the final .afub file, then remove hyperlink styles, to then produce a print version of the project? Or is there another work-around?  Other suggestions?   

I believe InDesign has the same limitation - you have to edit the hyperlink style(s) before printing.

Someday when we have scripting, I'm sure somebody will write a script you could run to toggle the style of hyperlinks before printing.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

39 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I believe InDesign has the same limitation - you have to edit the hyperlink style(s) before printing.

Someday when we have scripting, I'm sure somebody will write a script you could run to toggle the style of hyperlinks before printing.

Not as i recall.  i am going to recover the files and see if it was the case ...

Just did the experiment and it shows the indd file with visible hyperlinks. when i output for print the pdf settings exclude hyperlinks and the output is plain url.  I had to double check but i have been doing this for a long time and wanted to make sure i was recalling correctly 

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 15.05.12.png

53 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

This is a test from an old version of InDesign. The output is to pdf/print with hyperlinks disabled. The blue "here" word is a hyperlink in the document. The hyperlink is removed but the formatting remains.

image.png.8ff3045b475742bf4f50a552642c1be8.png

Not sure what your point is? I am referring to removing the hyperlink styling whether it be blue underline or outline of  an URL 

My URLS are the same style as the body text. They have blue underline to indicate a link. In inDesign when i output the Print version it does not have them in blue or underlined. but the Web version does.

I don't want my PRINT version to have the urls underlined in blue as now happens with Publisher v1.  There is no option to exclude the styling of the hyperlinks.

The only option i see. is to have two hyperlink styes.  One for Print and one for Web output. i just need to find an easy way to globally replace one for the other prior to output. 

Hopefully this is easily done.

2 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Or you could use the same document and temporarily change the styles for hyperlinks.

what is the easiest way to globally change from one to another?  i have created a  SS-HyperlinkPlain style that has no blue or underline which will be used for print version. I use SS-Hyperlink for the web version which has urls styled in bue underlining . 

17 minutes ago, bici said:

what is the easiest way to globally change from one to another?  i have created a  SS-HyperlinkPlain style that has no blue or underline which will be used for print version. I use SS-Hyperlink for the web version which has urls styled in bue underlining . 

The easiest way is to modify your SS-Hyperlink style, I think, because that will directly change all your hyperlinks.

Otherwise, you will need to modify all of them to use a different style, which is much more work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

My point is to show that the styling was not removed. Instead of underlines, the hyperlinks in the document I have are highlighted in blue, i.e. a styling. I can easily change this to 'no highlight' if that is what I want.

Ah Yes i see your point now. So for a Web based PDF in your example one leaves links highlighted in blue, and for sending to a printer you turn off highlights prior to exporting for press. and the link text is just plain like the rest of the copy. That is one solution. In my case i have chosen to use a simple underline of any link text. and leave it as is for both outputs. Alltough i may try to toggle undrline off before exporting to press ready PDF.

Nonetheless as this a basic setting for exporting from ID CS5 12 years ago, i am perplexed as to why it is not available in AF Pub. 

8 hours ago, bici said:

Nonetheless as this a basic setting for exporting from ID CS5 12 years ago, i am perplexed as to why it is not available in AF Pub. 

How do you do this in ID? I don't have it installed to check but I glanced through the manual and online help and couldn't find it.

15 hours ago, MikeTO said:

How do you do this in ID? I don't have it installed to check but I glanced through the manual and online help and couldn't find it.

One simply unchecks "include hyperlinks"  on export to PDF This remove any hyperlink formating. I used to have hypelinks styled with a boxed outline. which on the web version indicated a link. For press printing i simply unchecked "include hyperlinks" and the url text was just plain like the body text without the text appearing outlined or underlined. Did it  for years that way. 

PS. I have not been able to outline a url via the hyperlink styles. I can underline the text, colour the text,  and also highlight the text. but how does one have a thin outline of  the hyperlink text? i.e. "box" around the text

4 minutes ago, bici said:

PS. I have not been able to outline a url via the hyperlink styles. I can underline the text, colour the text,  and also highlight the text. but how does one have a thin outline of  the hyperlink text? i.e. "box" around the text

I don't believe there's a way to do that. Paragraph > Decorations can be used to draw a box around a paragraph but Character > Decorations doesn't let you draw a box around a range of characters. If you format text like that in MS Word and import into Publisher that formatting will be removed.