You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

declined transactions

I have just tried to buy Photo 2 but my card was declined, twice.  I immediately contacted my credit card provider and they said it fault was not a mistake I had made when I entered my card details, it was because the Serif website was trying to put the transaction through as a recurring payment, not a one off transaction.

That's more than an irritation because by the time I can try and speak to a human being at Serif to sort this out, the launch offer discount will have expired.

😞

You could try using PayPal, or buying via an in-app purchase made from an app downloaded from the Microsoft Store or Mac App Store. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@stuck

If you haven't already ordered via Paypal or via Apple or Microsoft as Walt suggested, here's a link to an article on our forum covering failed payments.  From what you've said, it may be connected to having a saved card in your account, so it's certainly worth following the advice to delete any saved cards.

Can I also suggest making sure you have cookies enabled for our site and that your browser is up to date, or trying again with a different browser.  

You'll need to be quick, the offer is technically over. Although sale prices are currently still showing on the site, we can't guarantee how long that will be the case. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/153756-payment-failed-to-process-and-its-taken-my-money-what-can-i-do/  

2 hours ago, SFurniss said:

@stuck

...From what you've said, it may be connected to having a saved card in your account, so it's certainly worth following the advice to delete any saved cards...

OK so I did as that page says:

Please also try removing any saved credit cards from your Account Details page, and enter the card details again -

Except, there are no saved card details that I can find in my account details.  I won't buy from the MS Store either and when I phoned Serif at 09:57 UK time and pressed one for sales I was cut off because, "Unfortunately our offices are closed".  Nor will I try another browser, if Serif's system can't cope with Firefox that's a pretty poor affair so I guess I'll pass on Photo 2.

Thank you and good night, have a safe journey!

@SFurniss

Despite several email exchanges with Adam on Affinity Support, where my last message sent on Monday and which said:

So Serif are content to leave me as a dissatisfied customer, unable to buy your products ,and likely to pass on my bad experience to anyone and everyone I know with even a vague interest in photography?

I find that a very strange approach to customer service and support.

There must be a reason why your website is not handling my card details correctly so even if you can’t help, surely you can escalate this problem to someone more senior?

has not been answered, I remain unable to buy Photo 2.

EDITED to highlight that this sad story does have a happy ending after all, see below at:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/179734-declined-transactions/#comment-1042364

The reason they suggest another browser is you may have a plugin/extension that may be blocking the process or there may be a configuration that is causing an issue, they are not saying they cannot handle Firefox they are just trying to help you figure out why you cannot process a payment. You can quite easily install a vanilla alternative browser go through the purchase and uninstall it later. 

23 hours ago, stuck said:

...and likely to pass on my bad experience to anyone and everyone I know with even a vague interest in photography?

Really!!  that's ugly behaviour dude, remember there are two parties at play here, You and Affinity, they have no access to your system, or knowledge of how you have set it up, for the majority of people their payment system works, the only variable is you. Who loses out on this transaction... Affinity because you go off and tell people about your bad experience; and I think some of that is self-made, and you, because you don't get Affinity. 

I agree with not buying from Micrapsoft store though :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

..for the majority of people their payment system works...

True but my credit card provider has explicitly told me that this transaction fails because Serif are trying to process it as a recurring transaction not a one off purchase.  That implies Serif are storing old card details but I can find no record of any card details in my Serif account.  Meanwhile, I can make purchases with out any problem using the same browser and card on other sites, which again suggeststhe fault is with the way Serif are handling this transaction, not anything I'm doing.

Despite this, Serif are unwilling / unable to try and find out why their system is unable to deal with my transaction.

1 hour ago, stuck said:

True but my credit card provider has explicitly told me that this transaction fails because Serif are trying to process it as a recurring transaction not a one off purchase.  That implies Serif are storing old card details but I can find no record of any card details in my Serif account.  Meanwhile, I can make purchases with out any problem using the same browser and card on other sites, which again suggeststhe fault is with the way Serif are handling this transaction, not anything I'm doing.

Despite this, Serif are unwilling / unable to try and find out why their system is unable to deal with my transaction.

Recurring transaction, that is odd.

Interesting info from various banks and authorities but to name a few.

Barclays
https://www.barclays.co.uk/help/payments/payment-information/recurring-card-payments/

Nationwide
https://www.nationwide.co.uk/help/payments/regular-payments/recurring-card-payment-explained/

FCA (Financial Conduct Authority)
https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-stories/continuous-payment-authorities-it-your-right-cancel

I wonder if there is some trigger in the way the transaction is processed that flags your banks alert.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Recurring transaction, that is odd.

I wonder if there is some trigger in the way the transaction is processed that flags your banks alert.

Yes, it is strange and yes, there must be something in the request for payment that goes to the card provider that triggers some sort of check for approval of a recurring payment and when that approval is NOT present, the transaction is declined.

Meanwhile, I am pleased to report that @Patrick Connor went way, way, beyond his job description and although he couldn't fix the failed transaction, he has waved a magic wand and I do now have an activated copy of Photo 2.

Awesome, welcome to the fold, well done Patrick 🎉