You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer V2 2.0.3 MSI Version Zooming redraw

thegary

Hello ,

Found this issue while zooming into edit small vector.

Interface fast while not zoomed in, but when you get close the interface goes blurry and takes along time to redraw. Tried this on version 1 as well, no issue in V1.

Video attached.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @thegary,

Could you advise if this is the same issue after updating to 2.0.4?

Additionally, does disabling/enabling Hardware Acceleration under Edit > Preferences > Performance and restarting the app have any impact on the redraw?

If both of the above fail, could you advise what your system specs are and provide me with the sample file from the recording? I can provide a private dropbox link if needed.

Many thanks

4 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @thegary,

Could you advise if this is the same issue after updating to 2.0.4?

Additionally, does disabling/enabling Hardware Acceleration under Edit > Preferences > Performance and restarting the app have any impact on the redraw?

If both of the above fail, could you advise what your system specs are and provide me with the sample file from the recording? I can provide a private dropbox link if needed.

Many thanks

@NathanC

It seems much the same. Posting video shortly.

I have to reopen and do some more work on that document. Will see how it goes.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

3 hours ago, NathanC said:

Could you send me the file shown in your recording and a screenshot of your Performance Preferences window?

Dropbox link for upload: https://www.dropbox.com/request/Bn8xyyztTXhQmKYTTH2R

Many thanks!

@NathanC

Hello Nathan, 

I have uploaded that for you.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Gary

• Staff

Hi @thegary,

Thanks for sending them over, I'm not experiencing these redraw/rendering issues on a slower GPU using your document, I would initially recommend downloading the latest available drivers from Nvidia available for your GPU(Link below for manual downloads)

https://www.nvidia.com/download/find.aspx

If it's still occuring following a driver update and reboot of your PC, I would try disabling Hardware Acceleration (Preferences > Performance) and restarting the app for comparison. 

If it continues, try changing the 'Renderer' option in the Performance Option to 'WARP' and restarting the app, this forces Software/CPU rendering.

3 hours ago, NathanC said:

Hi @thegary,

Thanks for sending them over, I'm not experiencing these redraw/rendering issues on a slower GPU using your document, I would initially recommend downloading the latest available drivers from Nvidia available for your GPU(Link below for manual downloads)

https://www.nvidia.com/download/find.aspx

If it's still occuring following a driver update and reboot of your PC, I would try disabling Hardware Acceleration (Preferences > Performance) and restarting the app for comparison. 

If it continues, try changing the 'Renderer' option in the Performance Option to 'WARP' and restarting the app, this forces Software/CPU rendering.

@NathanC

Hello Nathan, 

I have the newest drivers installed. I have also tried disabling Hardware Acceleration. 

No difference. Its not the hardware or drivers if Version 1 of designer works fine either.

Gary

• Staff

Hey @thegary,

Apologies, upon further investigation I was able to replicate the zooming redraw issue at around 7000% on your file, panning around the canvas the render/redraw speed was noticeably slow.

Monitoring CPU usage shows a usage spike to 100% when panning around the canvas around this zoom level. This appears to be caused by the presence of Warp group layers on your document, as either deleting or highlighting the warp groups > Convert to curves drastically increases the redraw speed and reduces the CPU load significantly. Evidently this wouldn't happen in V1 since Vector Warp doesn't exist.

On my device I found that the redraw speed was quicker on the unsandboxed .EXE version of the apps when compared to the sandboxed .MSIX install, if you havent already, uninstall the .MSIX version of the app and then download the .EXE/.MSI version available here (Press the also available: .EXE download button, not the larger blue button): https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/2/

10 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Hey @thegary,

Apologies, upon further investigation I was able to replicate the zooming redraw issue at around 7000% on your file, panning around the canvas the render/redraw speed was noticeably slow.

Monitoring CPU usage shows a usage spike to 100% when panning around the canvas around this zoom level. This appears to be caused by the presence of Warp group layers on your document, as either deleting or highlighting the warp groups > Convert to curves drastically increases the redraw speed and reduces the CPU load significantly. Evidently this wouldn't happen in V1 since Vector Warp doesn't exist.

On device I found that the redraw speed was quicker on the unsandboxed .EXE version of the apps when compared to the sandboxed .MSIX install, if you havent already, uninstall the .MSIX version of the app and then download the .EXE/.MSI version available here: https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/2/

@NathanC

Thank you for Nathan.

I will recreated that stroke problem as well and send you the save with history. Then i can convert the warps in this file.

Gary