You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving trouble - Designer/Publisher + Google Drive

Hello there. Recently I`ve bought an iPad Air 5 256gb storage to use as a secondary device (my main work is made on a Win10 PC). 

To access my files I'm saving'em into Google Drive. Yestarday I've created a file on Designer 2 for iPad made all the stuff my client asked and saved the file on G Drive. Later I needed to make some changes in the file on my Win10 PC but when I opened it the files was blank. I've lost all the art.

The same happend a few days ago in a Publisher 2 for iPad. I've made a 8 pages newspaper, saved it and when I opened the file next day I've lost the last 2 pages I've done.

Now I'm insecure ifit was a problem with the Affinity apps or with G Drive. Does anyone experienced some similar?

Thank you all. Cheers from Brazil.

I've had a similar issue with Publisher on Mac and Windows. I have edited the file on a Mac then gone on to Windows to then find that the Mac file overwrites the Windows one! I learnt the hard way and had to redo loads of work over a weekend. I now get into the habit of taking a local backup file in case this happens! In my instance, I think it was down to my VPN blocking traffic and preventing the file from uploading so it might be the same situation on a flaky network connection.

3 hours ago, capsLOCK said:

I've had a similar issue with Publisher on Mac and Windows. I have edited the file on a Mac then gone on to Windows to then find that the Mac file overwrites the Windows one! I learnt the hard way and had to redo loads of work over a weekend. I now get into the habit of taking a local backup file in case this happens! In my instance, I think it was down to my VPN blocking traffic and preventing the file from uploading so it might be the same situation on a flaky network connection.

I'll start to do the same. Just hope it doesn't have anything related to the Affinity apps on my iPad because I'm away from home (and my pc desktop) and lose a job will be a huge problem. 

Thanks for your help. Cheers

34 minutes ago, Catshill said:

I’ve used Google Drive for 15 years and never had a problem.

Few years back it would not integrate with IOS files app properly, just tried it again and it does seem to work now at last. Thanks for the update.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @BRlombardi,

Thanks for your post and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Although some users experience no issues with Google Drive and Affinity, such as Catshill - from my experience the most often reported cloud service that can cause issues with Affinity files is Google Drive, compared to iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive etc.

That is not to say that these other providers are faultless with Affinity files, or that we don't recommend Google Drive, but I feel this information may be relevant here.

We're certainly sorry to hear that work was lost due to this, we recommend the following:

• Where possible, our devs recommend saving and loading files from a local location, then saving a copy of the file to the cloud service, for backup or transfer purposes.

Where this is not possible;
  • Ensure you have a WiFi/Cell connection when saving your files back to G-Drive, as I've seen issues arise when saving documents in an offline state to a cloud folder, which schedules the file to be uploaded once you have an active internet connection next.
  • Allow enough time for the file to be uploaded and processed to G-Drive before opening on Desktop (or vice-versa) as trying to load the document within Affinity whilst the file is being processed by G-Drive can also cause issues.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

Hi @BRlombardi,

Thanks for your post and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

Although some users experience no issues with Google Drive and Affinity, such as Catshill - from my experience the most often reported cloud service that can cause issues with Affinity files is Google Drive, compared to iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive etc.

That is not to say that these other providers are faultless with Affinity files, or that we don't recommend Google Drive, but I feel this information may be relevant here.

We're certainly sorry to hear that work was lost due to this, we recommend the following:

• Where possible, our devs recommend saving and loading files from a local location, then saving a copy of the file to the cloud service, for backup or transfer purposes.

Where this is not possible;
  • Ensure you have a WiFi/Cell connection when saving your files back to G-Drive, as I've seen issues arise when saving documents in an offline state to a cloud folder, which schedules the file to be uploaded once you have an active internet connection next.
  • Allow enough time for the file to be uploaded and processed to G-Drive before opening on Desktop (or vice-versa) as trying to load the document within Affinity whilst the file is being processed by G-Drive can also cause issues.

I hope this helps :)

Really appreciate your help @Dan C. I'm trying a new approuch using cloud services and seems it's all fine now. Thank you so much.