You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappearing Font

1 minute ago, MikeTO said:

Affinity doesn't support variable, just static.

Variable fonts come as a single file, or a handful of files. With a static font, you'll have one for regular, one for italic, one for bold, one for bold italic, etc.

They come as individual files - regular, etc. So, static, then.

Oh I see what the problem is now. Athelas can't be installed on macOS because it's already installed but hidden. Apple no longer has the license to distribute Athelas but has kept it available for existing documents. Unfortunately, this approach prevents you from installing the same font if you've purchased it. This is Apple's bug and not Serif's or Adobe's, Apple Support provided inaccurate advice.

You can see the fonts that Apple has hidden on your Mac by using the Finder and choosing Go > Go To Folder and entering:
/System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental

Unfortunately, you can't delete them as this is a read-only volume. Prior to Ventura there were ways to get rid of them - Typeface could do it but their website now states that with Ventura there isn't a solution and you should send feedback to Apple. I'm doing that next.

https://typefaceapp.com/help/tips/removing-noto-fonts

There are likely ways to make the font work, including renaming the copy of Athelas you purchased in a font editor, but I think it would just be easier to use a different font.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

This is Apple's bug and not Serif's or Adobe's, Apple Support provided inaccurate advice.

I absolutely agree. But Apple official support, and the people on the forum, seem to imply that it isn't. Which sucks.

Yes, the Apple representatives took me through various steps to try to get it to work (before they realised that this was a deliberate "glitch"). I've tried everything. They even suggested I install OS Monterey instead of Ventura, which would be a big pain in the arse to do.

My issue is that I've formatted the whole book in Athelas, and it's the first in a series of (potentially) eight! I don't feel it would be fair to go back to the client and charge them for the time to reformat using a different font, since it's my fault. And I can't charge them for the purchase of the replacement font.

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Try this:

cp /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental/Athelas.ttc ~/Library/Fonts/.

I tried copying the file but although the file copied the font still wasn't available for me in Ventura. Which version are you using? 

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

6 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Aha. I'm on Catalina. Did you close APub first?

Yes, I quit all the Affinity apps before doing anything with fonts.

This must be part of the changes in Ventura that the Typeface app folks mentioned. Apple hid these fonts due to a licensing change but people were just copying them so they must have locked it down more which broke the ability to delete them entirely.

Yes, I quit all the Affinity apps before doing anything with fonts.

This must be part of the changes in Ventura that the Typeface app folks mentioned. Apple hid these fonts due to a licensing change but people were just copying them so they must have locked it down more which broke the ability to delete them entirely.

Whoever is 'at fault' this is dreadful. It is comparable to 'remove Pantone swatches from Adobe even though you have been using them for years' thing.

Fancy a test? I have made a one page APub document with Athelas. What happens if you open it (after copying Athelas.ttc to your fonts directory)?

Athelas-test.afpub

8 hours ago, Woodpig said:

However, the issue is that, even if I try to install a commercial version of the font, it produces duplicates. Adobe Fonts won't install it at all for 3rd party apps (though it will work for Adobe CC apps). Installing the font directly from commercial vendors/font creators results in the same duplication, but it does then seem to work in Apple apps (e.g. Pages) - but still not in Affinity. Essentially, Apple are saying it's up to Affinity/Adobe/etc to get this working.

This is Apple's problem. And they should fix it.
The idea you cannot install and use a commercial font is ridiculous.

You may be allowed to rename the commercial font - check the license from Adobe Fonts, or MyFonts (may be different).
Athelas is also on Monotype, Linotype, TypeTogether, etc., etc.

Note: I was thinking there is an Athelas Pro (which is a different name, which will work), but that is apparently is a different one of the "document-support" fonts we have discussed here in the forum (it had a Pro version on MyFonts).

9 hours ago, kenmcd said:

This is Apple's problem. And they should fix it.

100% with you on that. Some of the people on the Apple support forum are quite prejudiced in Apple's favour, unsurprisingly, and some are happy to give unasked for advice on which apps I should use! It's all quite exhausting. And a disgrace, on Apple's part. I'll find a cheap Athelas clone, I think.