You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disappearing Font

Hi,

I've formatted a document in Affinity Publisher using Athelas, a free document font on Mac OS. However, I've just opened the file after a month of not working on it, and it's telling me that this font is missing. I've contacted Apple support, who suggest that it's an Affinity problem, not an Apple one.

I've recently bought a new Mac, and this automatically updated me to OS Ventura. I'm using Affinity Publisher 2.03. I've tried downloading Athelas from a font site, but it throws up an error when I try to instal it ("duplicate fonts").

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth.

When you create a new document in Publisher, is Athelas in the font menu?

When you create a new document in Apple Pages, is Athelas in the font menu?

Open the Font Book application on your Mac - it's in the Applications folder. Is Athelas listed there?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks Mike,

There is no Athelas when I open Publisher (1 or 2), or Apple Pages.

There is no Athelas listed in Font Book. I've been told by Apple support that document fonts don't show up there anyway, so maybe it's on the system somewhere (and that's why it's giving an error when I try to install another version?).

I've thought about resetting the fonts via Font Book, but since Athelas does not appear there (even when it's installed) then perhaps there's no point? I'm also worried about losing all my third party fonts.

G.

If Athelas is not showing up in Font Book then it is not installed and you'll need to reinstall it. But it sounds like you've tried to install it only for macOS to tell you that it's a duplicate so it should show up in Font Book.

Is it possible that you've installed a variable font and not a static font? Affinity is not compatible with variable fonts. To fix this, you'd have to find the font in Font Book and uninstall it and then install the static version, but you can't find it so I'm unsure what do advise.

This isn't an Affinity issue since the font isn't showing up in Font Book for you but more of a Mac issue. I think Apple just gave up and sent you to Serif for help. Sorry.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

I think Athelas is a Google font ? Isn't it ?

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/athelas

You might install it from there ?

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0

Sorry, you're right… I feel I've seen that font somewhere on my computers not long ago… maybe Big Sur or Catalina ?

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Well… I can't find it…

Athelas is what Apple now calls a "Document-support" font.

Fonts included with macOS Ventura https://support.apple.com/en-asia/HT213266

"These fonts are available only to documents that already use the font, or to apps that request the font by name. Some are older fonts that were included with earlier versions of macOS or Apple apps."

It appears this is not working in Affinity applications. Search this forum for "Athelas" to see other discussions.

The only work-around I am aware of is to rename the fonts.

The commercial version is named differently so that will also work.

Not cool from Apple…

19 minutes ago, Woodpig said:

That doesn't seem to work. Do you mean to rename the file before installing, or after installation? Neither work for me.

The Athelas fonts are in a TTC file (a TrueType collection file). So you have to extract the individual TTF files and then rename the fonts (not just the file name).

In one of the other threads here in the forum a user gave step-by-step instructions using FontForge.

You can also use FontCreator.

Easiest is to use FontLab 8 if you have that available. 

OK, I've been bounced around from Affinity to Apple to Adobe, and now I'm back here again.

After hours on the phone to Apple support, it turns out that a group of fonts (including Athelas) has been "deprecated" in Mac Os Ventura, and that now it is only available as a document support font - meaning, it can be used to display documents already created with that font, but not to create new documents. The font continues to work with (e.g.) OS Monterey. So, essentially, Apple have restricted the licence for those fonts. Furthermore, they insist the emphasis is on third-party apps/font creators to make it work (though I don't really see how they can...).

However, the issue is that, even if I try to install a commercial version of the font, it produces duplicates. Adobe Fonts won't install it at all for 3rd party apps (though it will work for Adobe CC apps). Installing the font directly from commercial vendors/font creators results in the same duplication, but it does then seem to work in Apple apps (e.g. Pages) - but still not in Affinity. Essentially, Apple are saying it's up to Affinity/Adobe/etc to get this working.

I appreciate the workaround given above (using FontForge, etc), but this doesn't appear to be a legal route.

So, does anyone have any other ideas?

1 minute ago, Woodpig said:

However, the issue is that, even if I try to install a commercial version of the font, it produces duplicates.

Only thing I can think of is that you may have to change the Text Styles in existing Documents to use the non Apple versions in order to avoid duplicates. For Placed/Imported/Copy-Paste files you may have to use Find and Replace as well.

Such a shame in that Apple used to actually care about the fonts it included in the OS. They were well thought out, now fonts seem to be included because of current fashionability.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Only thing I can think of is that you may have to change the Text Styles in existing Documents to use the non Apple versions in order to avoid duplicates. For Placed/Imported/Copy-Paste files you may have to use Find and Replace as well.

Well, the issue is that no versions of the problematic fonts are showing up at all in the Affinity fonts list.

Just now, Woodpig said:

If Affinity could see the duplicate fonts, then at least I could continue to use it.

Do they (the commercial version, not the Apple version) show up in Apple's Font Book application? Did you use Font Book to install them?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

2 minutes ago, Woodpig said:

Well, the issue is that no versions of the problematic fonts are showing up at all in the Affinity fonts list.

Are you downloading a variable version of Athelas or the static version?

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Do they (the commercial version, not the Apple version) show up in Apple's Font Book application? Did you use Font Book to install them?

Yes and yes (with warnings concerning duplication, but after that they do work in Pages, for example).

Just now, Woodpig said:

Affinity doesn't use static, right?

Affinity doesn't support variable, just static.

Variable fonts come as a single file, or a handful of files. With a static font, you'll have one for regular, one for italic, one for bold, one for bold italic, etc.

1 minute ago, Woodpig said:

Affinity doesn't use static, right?

No, Affinity does use the Static. Affinity does not use Variable or Colour fonts.