You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help urgently needed

Hi there,

I have a big problem!

I was creating many Affinity Designer 2.0(MAC Desktop) assets. After days of work, I had an application crash just now. After I relaunched Affinity Designer now, all assets are gone. The ones I worked on but also all standard assets. Is there a way to recover the latest version of the assets manually? I really hope...

Thanks for any help with this topic

Stefan Fillibeck

image.png

If it were me I would close all running Affinity apps and then restore the last up to date assets.propcol file from before the crash via Time Machine.
Path (if purchased directly from Serif. Don't know if it's the same path for Mac App Store purchases?): /Users/your name here/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/v2/user/assets.propcol
As backups are made hourly it may not have everything you added but it is the quickest way to get stuff back.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

52 minutes ago, markw said:

If it were me I would close all running Affinity apps and then restore the last up to date assets.propcol file from before the crash via Time Machine.
Path (if purchased directly from Serif. Don't know if it's the same path for Mac App Store purchases?): /Users/your name here/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/v2/user/assets.propcol
As backups are made hourly it may not have everything you added but it is the quickest way to get stuff back.

Hi Mark - thank you very much for your quick response. I was now trying to locate the file as you described. I could find it and did a copy of it, just to be sure. There is only one problem I have. I do not have any Time Machine backup. I do not use Time Machine anymore at all. Would you know any other way? 

Do you think it might work when I uninstall Designer V2 and after that replace the new assets.propcol with the copy I made from earlier this morning?

Thanks for your help!

Stefan 

58 minutes ago, markw said:

Hi Mark - thank you very much for your quick response. I was now trying to locate the file as you described. I could find it and did a copy of it, just to be sure. There is only one problem I have. I do not have any Time Machine backup. I do not use Time Machine anymore at all. Would you know any other way? 

Do you think it might work when I uninstall Designer V2 and after that replace the new assets.propcol with the copy I made from earlier this morning?

Thanks for your help!

Stefan 

Have you closed Affinity Designer and then opened Affinity Designer up and created a new document?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Are you saying that you have no backups of your system? If so then I don't see a way to get back that file as it was before the crash?

But if you do have system backups then so long as the backup file you have was made before the crash it should work.
As you are replacing the file manually what app or utility made the backup file shouldn’t matter, what’s important is that it is a copy of the required file from before the crash.

I only mentioned Time Machine as it is inbuilt to Macs and easy to use!

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

27 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Have you closed Affinity Designer and then opened Affinity Designer up and created a new document?

Hi Firstdefence, yes, I started even the whole system etc. But it did not help. Even the assets in Affinity Publisher and in Photo are not accessible anymore. Thanks for your response.

27 minutes ago, markw said:

Are you saying that you have no backups of your system? If so then I don't see a way to get back that file as it was before the crash?

But if you do have system backups then so long as the backup file you have was made before the crash it should work.
As you are replacing the file manually what app or utility made the backup file shouldn’t matter, what’s important is that it is a copy of the required file from before the crash.

I only mentioned Time Machine as it is inbuilt to Macs and easy to use!

Hmm, yes, no real backup. I am storing all my work files on Icloud directories and from time to time (not often enough) I do some copy to an external SSD. So, for now obviously not the smartest move ;-) I will give the reinstallation now a shot and try to replace the file manually. Hope dies last ;-)

Anyhow, thank you very much for your good and qualified responses here!

Stefan

13 minutes ago, sfillibeck said:

I will give the reinstallation now a shot

That most likely will not help.

Make sure all Affinity V2 apps are not running.

Press and hold Ctrl, and start one of them. Release Ctrl when you get the Clear User Data dialog. Deselect everything, and select Reset Assets. Press Clear.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That most likely will not help.

Make sure all Affinity V2 apps are not running.

Press and hold Ctrl, and start one of them. Release Ctrl when you get the Clear User Data dialog. Deselect everything, and select Reset Assets. Press Clear.

Hi walt.farrell,

thank you very, very much. That sounds like a "last chance". I will try and let you know. Thx!