You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows 10 font issue

Hello,
I have affinity designer and photo version 1 and I just bought the v2 package.
A few days ago I imported a pdf file with text and it opened it with the correct fonts. Today Affinity Designer (and also Photo) tells me (both version 1 and version 2) that the fonts aren't there.
I installed one of the fonts on Windows but Designer still can't find it.
What happened?
Does version 2 not handle embed fonts?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Andrea_Bortolan said:

Does version 2 not handle embed fonts?

No, it does not (just like V1 did not).

You must have the fonts installed on your computer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

ArialNarrow (Bold, Bold Italic, italic), FuturaPt, FuturaPtCond (Bold, BoldOBL, Book,...), MyriadPro.

Unfortunately I can't attach the file because it belongs to a Company.

But last week I opened it without problems and today nothing to do.
In the meantime, it seems to me that Windows has made an update.
I don't know if this update is the problem.

20 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

Which fonts?

And can you attach the PDF?

I understood that the problem is another.
In fact last week Deigner hadn't found the fonts but had imported the characters as curves.
Now, however, it imports the pdf warning that the fonts are missing.
Is there an option that I may have inadvertently changed?

15 minutes ago, Andrea_Bortolan said:

In fact last week Deigner hadn't found the fonts but had imported the characters as curves.

Designer doesn't do that. There are no functions in the Affinity apps that import text as curves. 

Perhaps you used a different PDF last week.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Designer doesn't do that. There are no functions in the Affinity apps that import text as curves. 

Perhaps you used a different PDF last week.

Mmmm....I probably used different software then and can't remember.
So there's no way you can import a PDF if you don't have the correct fonts installed?
Too bad ... I hope they add some features!
Thanks for all

6 minutes ago, Andrea_Bortolan said:

So there's no way you can import a PDF if you don't have the correct fonts installed?

You can Place a PDF into another document using Passthrough mode. But you can't edit it at that point. And you can't Open a PDF for editing unless you have the fonts, or substitute different fonts.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You can Place a PDF into another document using Passthrough mode. But you can't edit it at that point. And you can't Open a PDF for editing unless you have the fonts, or substitute different fonts.

Thanks for the explanation....

I hope they add support for embed fonts!

Edited by Andrea_Bortolan

2 hours ago, Andrea_Bortolan said:

ArialNarrow (Bold, Bold Italic, italic), FuturaPt, FuturaPtCond (Bold, BoldOBL, Book,...), MyriadPro.

Unfortunately I can't attach the file because it belongs to a Company.

Please attach a screenshot of the opening dialog which lists the fonts to replace.
That should show the font names embedded in the PDF.

Some applications embed the fonts with font names that do not match-up with the PostScript Name (which is usually what is used).
Affinity fails to match the names in that case.

Do you know what application was used to create the PDF?
That is often in the PDF document info.

2 minutes ago, kenmcd said:

Please attach a screenshot of the opening dialog which lists the fonts to replace.
That should show the font names embedded in the PDF.

Some applications embed the fonts with font names that do not match-up with the PostScript Name (which is usually what is used).
Affinity fails to match the names in that case.

Do you know what application was used to create the PDF?
That is often in the PDF document info.

The pdf was made with illustrator 27 but I remembered used first inkscape which converts characters into curves.

However, the Arialnarrow font is installed but it seems not to see it!

Thanks

Embed fonts Designer.JPG

Font Windows Arial.JPG

53 minutes ago, Andrea_Bortolan said:

However, the Arialnarrow font is installed but it seems not to see it!

You have the perfect storm of fonts with difficult naming issues.

The Arial Narrow family from the Windows version of MS Office has "Arial" as the Typographic Family, but has "Arial Narrow" as the Font Family (style group). For font "best practices" these should be the same. This may be confusing the Affinity font matching.

The name you see in your dialog image above - e.g "ArialNarrow-BoldItalic" is the PostScript Name.
Affinity should be able to match on the PostScript Name, but that does not appear to be what they are doing.

The Arial Narrow family from the Mac version of MS Office has "Arial Narrow" as the Typographic Family, and has "Arial Narrow" as the Font Family (style group) also. And the PostScript Names are the same. BUT, they only have Italic and BoldItalic fonts in the style group, and that violates the OpenType specs and common sense.

From your image I cannot tell if you have the Windows or Mac fonts as the PostScript Names are the same in both.

Again, Affinity should be able to match on the PostScript Name, but that does not appear to be what they are doing.

Regarding the Futura PT fonts - the names inside the entire family are basically a font nightmare. Nothing is correct. Amazingly they are still being sold on MyFonts like this. So trying to match based on the family names and styles is quite a mess, and even the other settings such as the weight numbers are also a mess. These issues are probably confusing the Affinity font matching.
But, again, Affinity should be able to match on the PostScript Name, but that does not appear to be what they are doing.

Do not know why they are not matching on the PostScript Name as that makes the most sense given that is what is normally embedded in the PDF.

So unfortunately nothing you can do here. Affinity needs to fix this.
Use search/replace to replace the fonts.

11 hours ago, kenmcd said:

You have the perfect storm of fonts with difficult naming issues.

The Arial Narrow family from the Windows version of MS Office has "Arial" as the Typographic Family, but has "Arial Narrow" as the Font Family (style group). For font "best practices" these should be the same. This may be confusing the Affinity font matching.

The name you see in your dialog image above - e.g "ArialNarrow-BoldItalic" is the PostScript Name.
Affinity should be able to match on the PostScript Name, but that does not appear to be what they are doing.

The Arial Narrow family from the Mac version of MS Office has "Arial Narrow" as the Typographic Family, and has "Arial Narrow" as the Font Family (style group) also. And the PostScript Names are the same. BUT, they only have Italic and BoldItalic fonts in the style group, and that violates the OpenType specs and common sense.

From your image I cannot tell if you have the Windows or Mac fonts as the PostScript Names are the same in both.

Again, Affinity should be able to match on the PostScript Name, but that does not appear to be what they are doing.

Regarding the Futura PT fonts - the names inside the entire family are basically a font nightmare. Nothing is correct. Amazingly they are still being sold on MyFonts like this. So trying to match based on the family names and styles is quite a mess, and even the other settings such as the weight numbers are also a mess. These issues are probably confusing the Affinity font matching.
But, again, Affinity should be able to match on the PostScript Name, but that does not appear to be what they are doing.

Do not know why they are not matching on the PostScript Name as that makes the most sense given that is what is normally embedded in the PDF.

So unfortunately nothing you can do here. Affinity needs to fix this.
Use search/replace to replace the fonts.

Thank you for the comprehensive answer!
Very accurate....
I figured it was also a naming issue.
I hope Affinity can do something about it....