You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

master page does not apply to pages

seoyoung

Hello,

In publisher program(mac OS not sure other platforms), if I make change on my master pages, it does not apply to other pages which were followed by that master page. When you have a small amount of pages, it get updates well when you change on your master page, but if you have chunk (mine was 98 pages), those pages are not updated at all. "clear master page" and "re-apply master page" does not work either.

The only way of solving this is that I have to start from scratch with new master page which does not make any sense.

This is definitely a huge bug. Please let me know if I am missing something. (I really hope that I am).

Thanks

7 hours ago, seoyoung said:

Please let me know if I am missing something. (I really hope that I am).

We may need a sample document (that shows the error), are you able to upload one to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm not able to duplicate this on macOS, either. I use master pages for everything I do.

Are you using a facing pages document? Are you applying the master page to the spread (the left and right page together) or just to the left or right page on its own? If you accidentally applied the master just to the right page of a spread then the objects on the left side of the master would not appear.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like when you're able to apply a master just to one page of a spread - note that just page 5 is selected rather than the entire spread.

image.png.af5a424df4de816c0fae6e99f419bbc0.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@MikeTO @carl123

Hello all,

Thank you for your answer. But it does not seem to work either. I tried everything apply master (all options including spread/all pages). The problem is that the text box I put in my master page does not work on other pages even if I do 'apply master'.

For example, I adjusted text box size on my master page, it is not applied to the others. I attached my file here. You can see all text boxes' size is not applied on all pages but master page.

master page error.afpub

Hi, the issue with this document is that you have drawn text frames on each page even though there are text frames under them inherited from the master page.

Go to any page in the document, let's say spread 6-7 since it's the first full spread. Select the text frame on the left page and move it a couple of inches down or to the right - this frame is on the regular page, it has round size handles in the corners and can be moved or scaled.

Now click in the area below where the frame was. You've now selected the frame on the master page. This frame will have X's in the corners instead of size handles because you can't move or scale it without temporarily detaching the layer from the master. While this frame is selected, expand the Master A - 2 Pages group in the Layers panel (show the panel if it's hidden). You'll see that Frame Text/1 is the selected layer and that it's on Master A. Now click back in the frame you moved. You'll see that it's a different frame outside of the master page group.

It will take you some effort to clean this up but it will be worth it to properly use master page frames.

Cheers

890665294_Screenshot2023-01-25at4_43_04PM.thumb.png.73043989bf74536ba36ecf797a37dc45.png

Edited by MikeTO
Added screenshot

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

@MikeTO

Hello Mike

Thank you for your testing and answering!

I am still quite confused thought....

Because I didn't set any other text frame on regular pages at all individually. What I did was 'make master page A" --> "put text frame on the master page" --> add new regular pages --> copy and past text into the text frame which is on the 1st regular page. I don't know why there is a second text frame over the master's text frame.... Please correct me if I have been doing wrong. 

I would like ask your suggestion. Let's say when you make master page and you want to put text frame there to apply all regular pages (also you need to adjust your text frame size potentially later). How do you setup your master page and apply to others.

Thank you so much again!

Edited by seoyoung

I'm not sure how it ended up this way but the easiest way to solve it would be to go to the first page that has a linked frame on it, click in it, choose Select All, choose Cut, and then delete that frame. Click in the frame underneath and paste the copied text into it. Then go to each other page and select and delete the non-master frames that are now blank.

The problem is your first page and your TOC pages are based on the same masters and are all linked, too, so it won't work perfectly but I think you'll figure this out.

Good luck!

20 hours ago, seoyoung said:

What I did was 'make master page A" --> "put text frame on the master page" --> add new regular pages --> copy and past text into the text frame which is on the 1st regular page.

Did. you have the Text Caret (the little I-beam) in the Master Page's Text Frame on the Actual Page? If you didn't then the Text you are Pasting will be pasted into a new unrelated Text Frame.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.