You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

do you feel that V2 has fixed bugs you had in V1?

I've been a long time user of AP/AD v1 on macOS, and while the software in terms of features matured quite quickly, a few bugs and quirks were there for a few years and never really went away: eg. spinning beach balls when resizing the handles of a layer that start after some time of playing - you need to restart the app to get it back to working (AP), random crashes, bugs with symbols (AD), not being able to cancel/exit raw development with a keyboard shortcut etc. I haven't seen any feature in V2 that I need but I wouldn't say no to upgrading if V2 had some or all of these issues resolved.

what is your opinion? do you feel that V2 is less buggy than V1?

A lot of bugginess, has been lost in MSIX-gate, it's been so large an issue it really should have had it's own forum section, in fact it really wouldn't hurt to clean up the forum by moving all the MSIX posts into a sub category. 

I reckon, bugs will always be found, some common and some rare but the speed of fixing is quite slow and in V2 I think a lot of that is because of MSIX-gate, knocking out an MSI installer must have had an impact on bug fixing resources. 

I also consider this to be an awesome forum for solutions and people helping out, glad to be a part of it.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

After trying out (Mac) AP v2, I'm really on the fence about whether to actually buy it. Not only are the most annoying features of v1 not fixed, but new annoyances (not necessarily bugs) have been introduced that make it unusable for my purposes. If I buy it, I can't see ever launching it in its present form. I'd be buying hoping that some sort of progress will be made going forward. I have until later today to decide, so I'll be checking back to see what others say. The main thing I learned from trying AP v2 is that I'm stuck with Photoshop.

29 minutes ago, hm933 said:

After trying out (Mac) AP v2, I'm really on the fence about whether to actually buy it. Not only are the most annoying features of v1 not fixed, but new annoyances (not necessarily bugs) have been introduced that make it unusable for my purposes. If I buy it, I can't see ever launching it in its present form. I'd be buying hoping that some sort of progress will be made going forward. I have until later today to decide, so I'll be checking back to see what others say. The main thing I learned from trying AP v2 is that I'm stuck with Photoshop.

I have reached similar conclusions from the trial of v2 - at least when it comes to the issues (both annoyances and bugs) that I was encountering in V1, they are still  present (most of them 4-5 years and counting). I too am on the fence whether I should buy it while it's discounted, only to futureproof myself in case the issues get finally addressed in the ...next 4-5 years.

32 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

A lot of bugginess, has been lost in MSIX-gate

This bug affects Windows only, right? Whereas the OP (and you) appear to be macOS users.

1 hour ago, F_Kal said:

do you feel that V2 is less buggy than V1?

In my impression it is more buggy than V1. In the first month I was surprised about the fast growing number of bug reports for V2. I assume the number of bugs in V2 is larger than in V1 because of the fact that most long lasting bugs from V1 were not fixed before V2 got newly coded  – in the sake of more stability / compatibility with newer operating systems / hardware (and leaving older behind) – which means theses V1 bugs got rewritten for V2.

Some weeks after V2 release I added occasionally certain reported bugs to a personal list of interest to make up my mind about the V2 usability for my preferred workflows. Unfortunately the list of V1 bugs carried over to V2 is longer than those bugs which appear for V2 only. (while some of the V2 bugs even affect old features which were bug-free in V1). Since my operating system is not supported by V2 I judge only from my forum impressions. For some weeks I considered to create a separate boot volume especially for V2 usage to be able to try the demo at least but the continuously growing number of V2 bugs stopped this idea before it got realised.

374671441_V1V2bugs.thumb.jpg.76034c33484930273094e0a35697527a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

This bug affects Windows only, right? Whereas the OP (and you) appear to be macOS users.

Correct, but I have quite a few friends who have Windows and use Affinity and they were not best pleased, its consequence was a lot of trouble both in installation issues and again workarounds to try and fix the issues that Windows MSIX brought. I don't think Affinity did themselves any favours on the Windows side of things. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

... Since my operating system is not supported by V2 I judge only from my forum impressions. ...

I pretty much have the same impression here and I'm also judging just from forum thread impressions here, since my operating system is also not supported by V2.

I recall that in the past for Win systems and V1, most threads were about crashes due to GPU drivers and OpenCL based hardware acceleration. Now with V2 most Win threads are about MSIX based installments. - For MacOS and V2 it looks like Ventura and Apple Silicon platforms do now give some new additional bugs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

19 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

I recall that in the past for Win systems and V1, most threads were about crashes due to GPU drivers and OpenCL based hardware acceleration. Now with V2 most Win threads are about MSIX based installments. - For MacOS and V2 it looks like Ventura and Apple Silicon platforms do now give some new additional bugs.

I've never experienced crashes caused in particular by Metal/hardware acceleration, so I thought it was mainly affecting the newer M1 Macs / Apple chips... whereas it seems odd that these are still getting the problems, since V2 has been recoded to avoid these problems on these configurations.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I'd rather they frequently fix one, two or three bugs and then send out an update, than get job-lot updates over longer periods. As my Mum says "Inch by inch life's a cinch, yard by yard life is hard" smart woman my Mum.

16 hours ago, F_Kal said:

what is your opinion? do you feel that V2 is less buggy than V1?

For me, the V2 is definitely better, so far no crashes, no biting. However, I personally think that problems of this type are very dependent on the local configuration of the PC and its OS, so the every user has a different experience.
Anyway, I know that unlike V1, bugs in V2 have a chance to be solved, fixed and new/requested features can be added.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

15 hours ago, thomaso said:

I've never experienced crashes caused in particular by Metal/hardware acceleration, so I thought it was mainly affecting the newer M1 Macs / Apple chips... whereas it seems odd that these are still getting the problems, since V2 has been recoded to avoid these problems on these configurations.

Didn't looked if those Silicon hardware related crashes are mostly Metal/hardware acceleration related or not. In the past (v1 times) I've often looked over crash reports etc. in order to analyze where the problems of all evil (bugs) may stem from several people had/have. But to be honest I've gotten bored looking through other people's crash reports and giving advice. Thus I don't do that anymore and instead let the people do it, whose job it is and who get paid for it.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, Red Sands said:

It's that I can't see or feel where Serif is going with their products. I don't see their management setting out to target a particular part of the market, or have any features/themes they have particular expertise in or enthusiasm for. 

It seems to me much more like they are broadly and unfocused developing what sells

That is a very helpful insight. Serif has shown by their actions and the occasional forum comment that they are uninterested in fixing what matters most to me - and indeed their V2 changes made my experience worse. So why should I plunk down $41 hoping that they'll come around in the future? I should concentrate instead on getting better at finding workarounds in V1.

To answer the original post: No, the bugs I had in APhoto 1 have not been fixed in APhoto 2.

Case in point: the white line that appears around all pixel layers is extremely frustrating. 

I was making a small collage with just two photos arranged side by side. There is a thick white line displayed between the two images and around the entire border of the composite image. It's as if I had failed to snap the images together properly or failed to snap them them to the edge of the document. The white lines finally disappear when I increase the zoom to more than 100%.

I'm unclear as to whether Affinity considers this a bug. I've been told that a bug occurs when the software does not work as intended. I've been told the white line is an artifact of the way in which Affinity chooses to render the screen image. In other words, the white line might not be a bug at all, just a feature. The software is working as intended. It appears this will never be fixed.

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060