You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Option to import PDF as flat image no Font Conversion

Hi, I would very much like an option (similar to Photoshop) where you have a choice to import a single, unchanged, flat image.   
I regularly receive PDFs from people which I need to prepare for print.

I have read other posts on this forum and answers come back that you should export a jpeg instead of PDF.  This is not the question.  I am not generating the PDFs.  I receive PDFs from clients - and sometimes though a third party - that I must quickly prepare for print.  So asking them to send a different file is either not possible, or not fast enough.  

The request is to have the import option within Photo for a flat image.  
Greetings from a former Photoshop user.  

Have you tried placing the PDF file using the Passthrough option?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

5 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Have you tried placing the PDF file using the Passthrough option?

5 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

Either convert with something like xnviewmp or the like.
Or place the file in passthrough mode and perhaps rasterizing the layer.

Hi PaulEC and NPM, 

Thanks for the tips.  The passthrough blend mode won't help because the PDF is already altered upon import.  Flattening the result won't help because Affinity Photo automatically alters the image (even with all the options unchecked on the dialog box that appears upon import). 

I've included an attachment.  On the left is a preview of the original.  (this is from the mac browser - this is how I want it to look in AP).  On the right is the imported image.  You will notice that AP has changed the font in two places.  This is not what I want, and of course creates extra work, especially if I don't have the font on hand.  (The material I get is from bands with specific logos and fonts). 

It looks like I will have to use a third party program to flatten the image then import into AP.  

If anyone knows a way to import a PDF as a flat image, please advise.  ...or if I have misunderstood, let me know.  Unaltered flat PDF upon import is the goal.  

Thanks anyway for the answers.  Warm regards from Germany.  

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 17.19.58.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 11:39 AM, Burn Witch Burn said:

If anyone knows a way to import a PDF as a flat image, please advise.  ...or if I have misunderstood, let me know. 

I think you may have misunderstood the term Passthrough. That was not a reference to a Blend Mode (Layers panel), but to the Passthrough vs Interpret option in the Context Toolbar.

If you use Interpret when you Place a PDF into your document, you must have the fonts installed, as the PDF content is available for editing. If you do not have them, you see changes like you demonstrated.

If you use Passthrough, then essentially you have an accurate image of the PDF contents on your document page, and those contents are not editable. You do not need to have the fonts installed. If you then Export to PDF, the original vector contents of the Placed PDF contents should be included in the exported PDF.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1