You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

publisher2: footnote spacing from text question

I imported text with footnotes from a word document and so far, it seems to be working how I need it to. However, I appears that if a paragraph doesn't end at the spot where the footnote needs to be placed, the text crashes against the line separating the text from the footnote (the attached image shows both, where the left page has the footnote appear before the paragraph ends, and the footnote on the right page follows the paragraph end. Is there a parameter I can set that would add a bit of space (a point or 2) between the text and the footnote. I tried to figure it out, but I don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance. This forum has been super helpful.

footnotes.png

• 11 months later...

I have a gap between endnotes 16 and 17 here and don't know how to fix it. The min gap before is set to zero. The endnotes are in individual boxes, and they are all up against each other except here, where there is a gap. What would cause that?

Screenshot2024-01-22at16_03_05.png.6d0b4dae7223e0d7018904b6a35a5e81.png

38 minutes ago, mogsie said:

I have a gap between endnotes 16 and 17 here and don't know how to fix it. The min gap before is set to zero. The endnotes are in individual boxes, and they are all up against each other except here, where there is a gap. What would cause that?

You seem to have two settings applied to the notes, one has a tab and the other just a space after the numbers. Could be two different Paragraph Styles or could be 15 and 16 are Document-wide and 17 is Custom. Or vice versa.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The reason there is just a space is that I deleted that note and put it back in again thinking that would help. It didn't. The notes imported from Word had a tab. But the tab makes no difference.

Also, all styles and setting are the same in all those notes.

I just don't know why there is a space there.

One of the notes is likely formatted with Custom settings while the other are Document-wide.

Try choosing Convert all Footnotes to Document Settings from the panel menu and ensuring that your Document-wide settings are the way you want them.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I checked and they were all on the same settings.

I made a copy of the file, and completely deleted note numbers 15, 16 and 17. I was intending to put them back in to see if that would make a difference. But this is what I'm getting now! A really huge space.

I also did the Convert All endnotes to document settings, and it made no difference.

Screenshot2024-01-22at20_51_52.png.c88aa24539f7fb48e3d361c453917f81.png

1 hour ago, mogsie said:

The notes imported from Word had a tab. But the tab makes no difference.

Seeing as this is imported from Word the number of possible causes just grew. A lot.

Quickest way to solve this is for you to make a small document that shows the problem. I would just make a copy of the Word document and delete most of it. Then place that into a new Publisher document and see if the problem is still there. If it is post both files here. Or you could post the current document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

18 minutes ago, mogsie said:

I checked and they were all on the same settings.

I made a copy of the file, and completely deleted note numbers 15, 16 and 17. I was intending to put them back in to see if that would make a difference. But this is what I'm getting now! A really huge space.

I also did the Convert All endnotes to document settings, and it made no difference.

I suggested the convert notes solution because of the inconsistencies in the note formatting, not the gap. In your original screenshot there is a space plus tab between all the note references and note bodies except for note 17 which is just a space. These should all be a tab and there shouldn't be a space. Correcting the document-wide settings and converting all notes to document-wide will solve this discrepancy. Your second screenshot shows this has been resolved but they're all now space plus tab. You should probably change the document-wide settings so they're just a tab.

Without seeing your document it's hard to guess what's causing the formatting issue. It's easy to make a gap between notes. For example, if the note below the gap has Space Before set to a value greater than 0 and Use Space Before is set to Always, there will be a gap between the notes. Check all the paragraph spacing settings to see if it's anything like that.

Good luck.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I've figured out what's causing it.

This document has facing page translation, so the text flows down the left in one language and down the right in the other. The endnotes are set to "end of story" and have the note numbering set to "restart each document" so the numbers start in the left hand pages to the end, and continue on from the start of the right hand pages.

So in this chapter, there are 16 notes in the left hand flow of pages, and the notes start immediately after that flow. The rest are in the right hand flow, and are numbered from 17. I want the notes pages to be facing pages as normal. So they start at the bottom of the story in the left hand flow, and continue down to the next left page. Then, at note 17, I have the notes from the right hand flow coming across from above. So they go into a separate box half way down the page. That is where the gap occurred.

I must have put a text box there.  I tried a test, and when I put a text box and feed notes into it, I cannot then select the text box to nudge it. Is there a way to do that?

Anyway, now that I know what's happening, I will be able to deal with it. I know this book isn't exactly normal.

By the way, this book is full of cross references as well. They work beautifully. They're magic!

I think I've figured out the text frame problem – make it wider than I need (so it sticks out beyond the normal text area) and make the text inset. I seem to be able to select the frame now and move it about.