You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity V2 (all products) artificial cap on amount of installed RAM

rvst

This is a problem that I reported in v1 of Affinity and that persists today: 

My computer has 128GB of RAM. Affinity appears to hard code a maximum 64GB of RAM. 

In Affinity v1, I used to be able to override this value by directly entering a value in the input box next to the slider (but was never sure it actually took effect), but as of V2, this value does not stick - it's immediately reset to 65536MB

This is a bug. It's an easy to fix bug and it's one that should be fixed. Image editing is very memory intensive and it seems silly to limit usable RAM artificially

image.png.f861df3ad430d0bf1c433c346be386c5.png

image.png.352e416860ce0735c7b61ae3228d881d.png

• Staff
14 hours ago, rvst said:

but as of V2, this value does not stick - it's immediately reset to 65536MB

Not for me. I entered an arbitrary value over the slider limit and restarted the app and the value was retained. I 

Also, by default it is set to half your max value.

Finally, this was all changed for V2 (or even before) because it only used to limit raster blocks—this is no longer true. So if something has been broken for you, it's likely because there has been a change.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Not for me. I entered an arbitrary value over the slider limit and restarted the app and the value was retained. I 

Ha. So there's a subtlety to the way the new value needs to be entered. If one simply overwrites the "65536 MB" by changing the 65536 to a different value  leaving the "MB" at the end, it doesn't stick.

If one overwrites the value by putting in, say "80000" and clearing the "MB" so that ONLY a numerical value is in the entry box, then it sticks. 

• Staff
15 hours ago, rvst said:

Ha. So there's a subtlety to the way the new value needs to be entered. If one simply overwrites the "65536 MB" by changing the 65536 to a different value  leaving the "MB" at the end, it doesn't stick.

You're right. That looks wrong to me so I'll get that logged. Nice spot. I was overwriting all of it when I replied to you initially.

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "RAM Usage Limit: Overwriting the numerical values but leaving the MB doesn't keep new values" (REF: AFP-5883) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1806".
This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.