You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to uninstall Photo 2 trial?

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

Because the initial releases of version 2 of all the Affinity apps was as .msix installers you need to go to Settings>Apps>Apps & Features.

What has made you "frustrated" with APh 2?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

4 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

Because the initial releases of version 2 of all the Affinity apps was as .msix installers you need to go to Settings>Apps>Apps & Features.

What has made you "frustrated" with APh 2?

Hello: Thank you for your useful response. I'd forgotten about going to Settings rather than Control Panel. It'd be interesting to know where Photo 2 was hiding on the C drive.

As I suspected Photo 2 is oriented much more towards  users who wish to manipulate images. I don't. I do mostly bird photography and use Lightroom Classic + Topaz Photo AI as a plug-in. On their own, neither Lightroom or Photo 2 are good enough at noise reduction and sharpening. I didn't see how to get Topaz to work as a plug-in with Photo 2. Additionally, not having used Affinity products for a few years, I was surprised that Photo 2 has no cataloguing feature built in. The Lightroom one is probably the best around. But it is a pity that they have put little effort into noise reduction. Do Photo 2 users use something like Faststone to examine their 500 images from a day's shoot?

So, in summary Photo 2 has far too many features aimed at manipulation that I don't find to be useful. But it doesn't the basics. For example, Lightroom is much better at pulling back highlights and bringing up shadows. Photo 2 doesn't appear to have Dehaze. Another little irritation is that in Lightroom if you want to get a slider back to 0 clicking on the name does this. In Photo 2 you appear to have to carefully bring the slider back using the cursor. Could be my fault though! Finally, I just wanted Photo 2 to be an easy transition were I to ditch Lightroom. I suppose if I'd spent more time with Photo 2 I may have liked it better, but I doubt it. I'm probably too old to make the move. 

Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

Donald

Thank you for the additional information.

Using an .msix installer, the Affinity apps install to the WindowsApps folder on C:\, so not in any Program Files folder and, by default, "hidden".

Dehaze is available under the Filter menu, though actually called Remove Haze.  In my experience, it actually works well.

I run several Topaz plugins in APh 2 (and 1) though I don't have Photo AI.  They appear, again in the Filters menu, under Plugins.

The addition of a "cataloguing" feature is a frequently-requested item in these forums.  Serif have said they hope to add such a facility eventually.

Hopefully, other users more experienced than I will see you post and respond in more detail about your other "frustrations"!

HTH

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

H'mm, perhaps I was a little, how should I say, hasty. In light of your comments I will have another try. I used to be an Affinity Photo user, even have the hardback edition of the Workbook on the shelf. I still worry a bit about the sliders and Lightroom doing a much better job with Highlights and shadows. Also, haven't tried printing. So maybe I will give it another try.

Thanks

Donald

16 minutes ago, Frustrated with Photo 2 said:

I still worry a bit about the sliders

Most sliders (adjustments etc) reset to zero if you double click on the "handle".

Untitled.png.1f8ef04470df1f1e579b8ec5efd8aa55.png

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Photo is much more a Photoshop replacement than Lightroom. And as you've noted it's highlight recovery is not good. I use another  app for the raw conversion. Xnview is popular to manage images and can be set up to send them to Photo. I use FastRawViewer to cull images. And I run the Topaz and Nik plugins from Photo. 

11 hours ago, Frustrated with Photo 2 said:

As I suspected Photo 2 is oriented much more towards  users who wish to manipulate images. I don't. I do mostly bird photography and use Lightroom Classic + Topaz Photo AI as a plug-in. On their own, neither Lightroom or Photo 2 are good enough at noise reduction and sharpening. I didn't see how to get Topaz to work as a plug-in with Photo 2. Additionally, not having used Affinity products for a few years, I was surprised that Photo 2 has no cataloguing feature built in. The Lightroom one is probably the best around. But it is a pity that they have put little effort into noise reduction. Do Photo 2 users use something like Faststone to examine their 500 images from a day's shoot?

It all depends! - APh is more oriented after/towards Photoshop here, meaning it has a RAW conversion part (the Develop Persona) and the common photo/bitmap manipulation part (the Photo Persona) etc. What it is missing here in contrast is the photo/image cataloguing part, which for example PS Elements, Lightroom ... etc. do offer and have already bundled/included.

RAW conversion:

Dedicated RAW convertors like CaptureOne, Lightroom, RAWPower, DxO, Nikon Studio, RawTherapee ... etc. are usually and overall more polished & powerful here, since such apps are mostly explicitely dedicated to the RAW processing here. Some of these offer partly better sharpening, noise reduction ... and other algorithms and filters. These RAW convertors also can often interpret camera specifics (via image exif tags) and then do perform, according to cam specific image settings, certain automatic predefined initial actions. - Thus things that APh doesn't do here, as default it keeps the RAW always plain without certain preprocessings beside WB.

Cataloging:

Some RAW converters and apps do contain image library cataloging features, as for example Lightroom, PSE, CaptureOne, RAWPower, DigiKam, Darktable ... etc. And of course nowadays Windows/MacOS also do have own build-in facilities here (Photos apps) for such purposes. Beside that there are a bunch of dedicated third party image browsers, cataloging and DAM apps, which are more specialized to this domain.

Thus it always depends and there are a lot of conccurent and different software solutions available for hobby and professional photographers (it's a huge market)!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2