You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(AF Photo v2 Mac) Photo goes for a lie-down when double-clicking a brush

31 minutes ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

double-clicking a brush on the Brush palette

Which one? There are dozens of them.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 minutes ago, loukash said:

Which one? There are dozens of them.

I double-clicked the top brush in the "sprays and spatters" palette, in order to widen the spread on one of the spray brush tips. Nothing out of the ordinary, just wanting to edit an eraser brush tip. I double-checked on this by going back and doing the same thing in V1 with no problems.

Photo V2 seems seriously flawed overall; on top of some really poor UI decisions and sloppy execution — they still haven't dealt with palettes obscuring dialog boxes — this good old-fashioned screeching lock-up when attempting to execute a simple double-click to edit a brush tip has made it a non-starter at this point.

So, I'm kinda stuck going back to V1 if I want to be able to edit brush tips, but that's not a real solution.

I mean, c'mon; they're gonna fix that, right...?

17 minutes ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

I double-clicked the top brush in the "sprays and spatters" palette, in order to widen the spread on one of the spray brush tips. Nothing out of the ordinary, just wanting to edit an eraser brush tip.

FWIW, I do not have any issues doing that on my Mac running Catalina -- no crash, no lockup, no spinning wait cursor.

What macOS version are you using?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, Mike Swartzbeck said:

double-clicked the top brush in the "sprays and spatters" palette, in order to widen the spread on one of the spray brush tips

Works for me.
That's on MacBookPro mid-2012 runing Catalina, with an "obsolete" Wacom tablet using hacked drivers…

So it needs more details on your part. Especially for the Serif developers, you may want to upload the corresponding crash report. Those should be usually in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

V2 seems seriously flawed overall

Yeah, I also think that the release was a bit premature. There were likely marketing decisions involved.

back to V1

Given that I mostly prefer to run my MacBook in MacOS El Capitan anyway, Affinity v1 remains my "mission critical" tool for the time being as well.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I do not have any issues doing that on my Mac running Catalina -- no crash, no lockup, no spinning wait cursor.

What macOS version are you using?

I'm on Monterey 12.6.2 right now; haven't moved up to Ventura yet.

My copy of Photo v2 is just freshly updated; I'd kind of hoped that'd cure it.

9 minutes ago, loukash said:

Works for me.
That's on MacBookPro mid-2012 runing Catalina, with an "obsolete" Wacom tablet using hacked drivers…

So it needs more details on your part. Especially for the Serif developers, you may want to upload the corresponding crash report. Those should be usually in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Yeah, I also think that the release was a bit premature. There were likely marketing decisions involved.

Given that I mostly prefer to run my MacBook in MacOS El Capitan anyway, Affinity v1 remains my "mission critical" tool for the time being as well.

OK, thanks for the info; I'll induce that "freeze" in v2 and choose the Crash Report option this time.

Sorry, can't find the DIagnosticReports. What location is your tilde indicating? My (username) folder? The top level of the hard drive?

Just now, Mike Swartzbeck said:

What location is your tilde indicating? My (username) folder?

Yes, that's the standard Mac/Unix shortcut for the Home folder. 

OK, more poop on the Brush Tip Double-Click Rainbow Beach Ball Lockup issue.

I just now tried this with a different brush; I went to the "Basic" brush palette, double-clicked a brush tip to edit it, and presto, I got a brush tip adjustment dialog just fine. I haven't tried any of the other brushes yet. ...but when I try the same thing to edit one of the spatter/airbrush tips, it's Lie-Down Time.

If you're using Photo V2, try this.

I'm getting this in AF Photo V2 v2.0.3, MacOS Monterey v12.6.2

If you have any custom brushes, back them up first, then try Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Brushes