You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to not name an artboard?

I don’t think it’s possible to not have artboard names.

Even if you delete the name manually in the Layers Panel it is given the name, on the canvas, of “Rectangle”, which seems a bit odd to me.

You could give the artboard a name of “ “ (a space, without the quotes) which makes it look like it hasn’t got a name, both in the Layers Panel and the canvas, but that’s not a great solution.

I don’t think you are the first person to ask about this but I haven’t searched for earlier posts to confirm it.

There have certainly been requests that the artboard name could be resized/moved so that close-by artboards don’t have overlapping names which ‘get in the way’.

Having a little toggle somewhere would seem like a nice and useful addition.

You could try searching the forums for an existing request and adding your voice to it if you want to (the Questions section is just for questions, not Requests).

3 hours ago, marlies09 said:

Hi all,

I wonder if it is possible to remove the names of the artboards? I've been looking for that option, but I can't find it.

Thank you. 🙂

Marlies

It's feasible, apparently. Copy & Paste a "blank" character into the layer/field name:

https://emptycharacter.com/

There is probably a Windows + Code (sorry I don't remember with Mac) to print the character. I just linked this method because it's easiest for testing.

Edit: And actually a regular old space works just fine

230122_blank-artboard-names.thumb.gif.2aceef3a19285001e8d6de75bd92bd75.gif

Just now, marlies09 said:

@debraspicher Oooh thank you so much! Really helpful! 

Yeah, I noticed after the fact, @GarryP mentioned the same solution. That's what I get for scan-reading while still waking up lol. But, if others need yet another workaround, there it is I suppose...

I don't particularly care they are "blanked", though an icon would be nice showing they are a "root element" of sorts would be helpful. If you post a thread in feature requests, I'll add in my vote.

17 hours ago, marlies09 said:

Oops, I guess I accidentally posted it in the wrong place.

You posted in the right place and did the right thing.
You had a question and posted it in the Questions section of the forums.

However, now that it has been discussed and found not to simply be user error, or something like that, if you would like the developers to consider your suggestion then you can post a new thread in the relevant Feedback section (with a link to this discussion) – search for an existing one first though, just to keep things tidy.

We see all kinds of ‘bug reports’ and ‘feedback requests’ that are simply a matter of people not knowing how the software is supposed to work, or how they should be using the software, so it’s better if people ask about something first (as you did) and then, if it’s generally considered to be worth posting elsewhere, a post can be made in another section of the site.

This helps to ‘gate-keep’ user issues, which helps to reduce the work for the staff, which helps them to focus on more important things like fixing real bugs, adding new functionality, and the like.

So, to recap, you definitely did the right thing.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, debraspicher said:

I don't particularly care they are "blanked", though an icon would be nice showing they are a "root element" of sorts would be helpful. If you post a thread in feature requests, I'll add in my vote.

FWIW, in V1 the artboard retains the "(Artboard)" suffix in the Layers panel even if its custom name is just a space. In V2, there is a Layers panel option to Show Object Type, which if enabled, will show a (tiny!) artboard-like icon in the layers panel for any artboard object, including ones with just spaces as their names.

You can also in V2 hover the pointer over the icon to pop up a tooltip, but it will not say "artboard" like you might expect. Instead, it will say "Rectangle" or if you have converted the artboard to a curve it will say "Curve."

So there still is work to be done to make ythis more user-friendly & intuitive.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7