You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Should the Info Panel samplers be visible when the Info Panel is not open?

Photo 2.0.3 on Windows 10.

If I open the Info Panel, drag out a sampler and then close the Info Panel, the sampler is still visible and draggable – see attached video.
Should this be the case?
If so, how do I make the samplers non-visible without removing them via the Info Panel?

(The Help doesn't seem to have much information about this and I can't find a setting anywhere but I've not done an exhaustive search.)

If you open a .afphoto file in Designer, or in Photo on iPad, the samplers are rendered there, too. As you have no info panel on iPad, you can't make them invisible.

So actually the sampler position is stored in the document, and Affinity does not provide the UI in all Apps / Platforms even it is a basic necessity.

For me it is criminal neglect to not have info panel in all Apps / on all OS.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

If the application does not have the Info Panel, on any platform, then I would expect that the sampler would not be displayed, especially if there wasn’t a way to remove them from the display.
Having (as far as I can tell, in this particular situation) useless things floating about on the canvas with no way of getting rid of them would seem a bit pointless, at the very least.

This sounds like it is just something that was missed/overlooked but maybe someone has a better idea of what’s going on and/or why.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

If so, how do I make the samplers non-visible without removing them via the Info Panel?

By clicking the Sample from Cursor buttons (separate for each sample point). The location samplers still exist and can be reactivated by re-clicking them.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

useless things floating about on the canvas with no way of getting rid of them

You can still move them waaay outside the canvas in ADe and APu.
Out of sight, out of mind:

apu_move_info_panel_samplers.png.2721c01581221741798e05b95c6ea06d.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

49 minutes ago, lacerto said:

By clicking the Sample from Cursor buttons (separate for each sample point).

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

how do I make the samplers non-visible without removing them via the Info Panel?

In other words, since the sample points are of no use when the Info Panel is closed, how do I remove the sample points when I don't have the Info Panel open.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

how do I remove the sample points when I don't have the Info Panel open [?]

Since this is the "Affinity on Desktop Questions (macOS and Windows)" forum, the only correct answer to your question is:

Open the Info panel again and click the Sample from Cursor buttons.
;) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

My main question is the title of the thread: “Should the Info Panel samplers be visible when the Info Panel is not open?”

I haven’t read an answer to that yet.

My, now modified, with clarification, supplementary question is: “Without opening the Info Panel and changing the settings, or removing the sample, how do I remove the sample points from the canvas?”

I haven’t read an answer to that yet either, and it seems to be a question which is more important for iPad users, and users without Photo, who don't have an Info Panel to open.

42 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My main question is the title of the thread: “Should the Info Panel samplers be visible when the Info Panel is not open?”

Yes, the Info panel is just a means to add a sampler to the document

Just like the Adjustment Panel is a means to add an adjustment to the document.

Adjustment layers do not disappear when you close the adjustment panel.

Why should the samplers?

44 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My, now modified, with clarification, supplementary question is: “Without opening the Info Panel and changing the settings, or removing the sample, how do I remove the sample points from the canvas?”

You can't

Just like you can't manipulate Linked Layers or Layer States in any app other than APhoto

Sometimes you need access to the appropriate panel to change/add/delete stuff that only that panel can do

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Should the Info Panel samplers be visible when the Info Panel is not open?

I'd say so.
After all, all objects also remain visible if you close the Layers panel.

However, there should be a modifier shortcut to delete or disable visible samplers in all three apps, ctrl-click for example.