You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mythical Monster Stories

Peter Dobbin

I use Amazon and Ingram Spark for my POD books. Ingram Spark gets me to distributors. Amazon is for direct sales to individuals. My books are are text-only, with a soft cover. However, you might explore the Ingram Spark and Amazon sites to determine if they meet your requirements. They will also do hardcovers, I believe. Their printing costs are much lower than going to a local printer. I can't comment on the costs of printing and shipping for hard covers. I only order one from each of Amazon and Ingram Spark to inspect the quality. Speaking of which, Publisher, with proper input, will produce a product that rivals that of the Big 5.

Of course, you will need Publisher to produce a pdf file for the interior (at least, that's what I use). I use Photo for the covers, although I am starting to use Publisher for some of the covers in my latest publications. Publisher does not produce an .epub product.

Good luck, and keep on writing.

Edited to add that you might consider avoiding the vanity presses like the plague. From what I have read, you will end up with a garage full of books that you can't give away.

Welcome to the forums @Peter Dobbin

Those illustrations are really nice but I don’t see any relevance to the Affinity applications.

It would be interesting to know which Affinity applications you have used to create them, and something about your processes using those applications to create these lovely pieces.

It would be interesting to know which Affinity application (or Affinity applications) you have used to create them, and something about your processes using that Affinity application (or those Affinity applications) to create these lovely pieces.

Edit: Edited because of comment in later post.

Edited by GarryP
Clarification.

Very cool! Especially the Baba Yaga painting. Weird stuff!

But as a little constructive criticism: in the first image, there is a problem with the perspective. The horse in the bottom corner on the left side tilts a bit to the left. There must have been more topview on it. Hope you understand what I mean. English is not my mothers tongue.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:05 PM, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums @Peter Dobbin

Those illustrations are really nice but I don’t see any relevance to the Affinity applications.

It would be interesting to know which Affinity applications you have used to create them, and something about your processes using those applications to create these lovely pieces.

I believe it is enough to have done it with one Affinity app and show it here. I mean, it's not a requirement to do further...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Very nice illustrations. And a lot of work!

Edit: Also, I have visited your link, and while these shown here remind me a lot the Bosch's detailed art pieces... the internal pages (hey, you show all the book there! Isn't that a bit risky? or maybe I am too cautious in those cases) are absolutely gorgeous, I like them even more. 

Edit: ...Or maybe it's not all the book (I believe there are no 96 pages loading there) , but a really generous preview, nonetheless! :)  

Edit : Also, I have never written a book (only short comics) but I have made (illustration and design) book covers for authors that published on Amazon, and "Amazon KDP" help pages are OK-ish in detailing how you need to prepare the cover for them, in what is all the specs. They could have gone in more detail, and some choices in such specs are a bit strange (for printing) but quite fine, though. No idea about what site has more traffic or sells potential, if Amazon or Ingram Spark. In writers' forums I've often read that it is Amazon (due to its massive traffic in general), but I don't know if that is really so. That's the one aspect I'd like to know more about.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

I recommended Blake Smith from the podcast "Monster talk - the science show about monsters" look at this. That show is amazing and they often highlight illustrated works about monsters. It could be great publicity for you.

Blurb does great quality work but is much more expensive than Amazon. I haven't tried Ingram yet but I think I might. I design books and book covers for a small company and Amazon and Ingram are their most used printers. Good luck! 

I can't comment on color print books, since I'm a novelist and do only POD and ebook b&w interiors, but...

Amazon will get you out to individuals. Do not select expanded distribution. Bookstores, libraries, etc. abhor Amazon, and will not order copies through them.

Ingram Spark distributes POD primarily to bookstores, libraries, etc. Do not select expanded distribution.