You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher changes in placed Designer file?

I’ve placed Designer files in a Publisher document (as linked), so I can still make all sorts of changes when double clicking on the Designer file. But for some reason Publisher cannot keep the changes. Even after saving the Publisher file, going back in the changed placed Designer file has lost the changes.

And another maybe related question: how can I make changes in a placed Designer file in Publisher and have those changes also realized in the original Designer file? So when I open the file in Designer the change is also there?

Hi @ericosmosNEW,

I’ve just modified a linked AD design in APub and you are right, none of the changes were retained upon opening the file back in AD. I think you should post a bug report, if you want to.

Edit — I could not replicate the bug because I stumbled upon a bigger issue. Every single linked file I tried afterwards gets “corrupted” in APub. Nothing helps to fix the issue, and so far I could not find similar issues reported in the forums. Will reinstall all the apps later when I’ll have the time and I wil post a bug report if this persists.

Regards.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

@ericosmosNEW, Fortunately it only looks corrupted (it seems to be a visual glitch), so after getting the shapes out there’s nothing wrong with them. It remains the issue of not being able to place and work with linked files in APub

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

relieving to know!

Just to add, if you change the linked Designer file in Designer and save it, it will be updated in Publisher. (There is a red exclamation point in the lower right bar. When you click it, it shows all the Designer files that have been altered and asks you to "correct" -> meaning update it by tabbing it) This way around it works

11 hours ago, iuli said:

I’ve just modified a linked AD design in APub and you are right, none of the changes were retained upon opening the file back in AD. I think you should post a bug report, if you want to.

I haven’t had time to test this but the help files states that the original resource must be updated via resource panel. It’s not clear if this needs to occur in Publisher or the originating app.?

A6DBF8AF-1589-4228-A17D-B7244D2A4B2D.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

14 hours ago, iuli said:

After making changes, open Files app and browse to original Designer file. The changes are apparent in the preview. Open Designer and file is unchanged. So, it updates the actual file but not the version in sandbox.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/