You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No Discover for Purchasing V2 … ?

It has come to my attention that V.2 of the Affinity Suite of wares can no longer be purchased if one chooses to use a Discover credit card.

1. Is this, in fact, the reality of the situation regarding purchase of V.2?

2. If so, why does Affinity no longer accept the Discover card? I purchased all wares of V. 1 and have no PayPal account now - only Discover.

If Discover is no longer acceptable for purchase of the new wares, which cards are now in the category of ‘Officially Sanctioned’?

I had planned to acquire all three V.2 releases of the wares after upgrading my now-incompatible OS (‘Sierra’). I have now put that on indeterminate (and possibly ‘terminal’) hold, depending on whether or not I can make the acquisition using my Discover card.

Thank you for any explanation provided for the ‘desaperacido’ status of the Discover card vis-a-vis purchases of the new wares.

Richard (Dr_No)

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Proudly Wearing the Shame of ThoughtCrime …

• Staff

Hi @Dr_No,

Our payment portal provider does not accept Discover cards from Canada or the US, sorry.

You can still apply the Discover card to a PayPal account an purchase via PayPal or you could use Visa or MasterCard.

Alternatively our apps are sold through the App Store and Microsoft Store (as in-app purchases) where you may find a wider selection of payment options.

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

Hi, StevenS … thanks for such a prompt and direct response. I will not be purchasing Affinity’s new wares, then. Sorry about that. 

I do not have - nor do I want to have - a Visa or MasterCard. I believe in the principle of ‘Fewer Credit Cards are Better’. I closed my PayPal account some months back, and that is no longer an option. I conduct no business thru the AppStore or the Microsoft Store, therefore whatever number or type(-s) of payment options they offer are completely irrelevant to me, as I'll never use them.

Much as I'd like to upgrade to the new wares, I refuse to do so until the Portal Provider decides that American and Canadian Discover cards are equally valid means of making a purchase as its other preferred providers. 

Thanks again for your prompt response to my query.

Richard (Dr_No)

Mac Pro (Mid-2010) G5, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon i7; macOS ‘Sierra,’ 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770; S271HL Acer Display (1920 x 1080); Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher 1.10.8, Photoshop CS6, Illustrator CS6, InDesign CS6, QuarkXpress 9.5.4.1, ON1 RAW 2020, Portrait Professional Studio64, Topaz Labs Suite, Nik Collection, LibreOffice; separate Western Digital external HDs for storage  

Dr_No,

You don’t need a Paypal account to pay as a guest, you should be able to pay using your Discover card using the option to pay as a guest through Paypal, that’s how I made my original Affinity purchase, here’s a thread on the topic:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/42030-unable-to-purchase-affinity-and-i-want-to-purchase-it/#comment-927428

The ATM card I have has a Visa logo on it, my understanding is that it can be used anywhere Visa is accepted, it will debit the purchase from my account balance.  So if you have such a debit card that might be an option for you.

Hi, skybound13 … what is the mechanism that allows ‘guest payment’ thru PayPal? This is the first I’ve heard of that option. As previously mentioned, my only card is Discover. I have no Visa, AmEx, M'Card etc etc. Don't want, don't need, don't have. I also have no ATM or debit card. Same reasons. The trust level for both is at zero or less. My bank issued me one when I began doing business with them years ago. I directed them to introduce it to Mr. Shredder. I much prefer going to the inside window and chatting up the tellers. More personal. I will check the link you’ve provided, tho’ … might be the problem-solver. Thanks again.

Dr_No,

I just tested the “Pay as Guest” feature and it looks like Paypal has updated its interface.

1.  On the Affinity store page for the product you want to purchase there are two buttons at the bottom, “Pay with card” and “Pay with Paypal.”  Click the “Pay with Paypal” button.  The “Pay with PayPal” window opens.
2.  The “Pay with PayPal” window opens, click “Pay with Debit or Credit Card.”  This opens the “Check out as a guest” window.
3.  Enter your email in the “Check out as a guest” window and click “Continue to Payment.”
4.  From there you enter your card information and billing information.  I started to enter my Discover card number and it updated the credit card icon to show it was a Discover card.
5.  Disable the “Save info & create your PayPal account” slider.  The button below this will update and say “Continue as a Guest.”

I didn’t proceed any further than this to confirm what the remaining steps are.

skybound13 … interesting. At Step Nr 05, it appears to my wondering eyes that continuation will then create a ‘new’ PP account. Would that be a reasonable conclusion?

skybound13 … please ignore prior query. Read too quickly but not far enough. Thanks …

Dr_No,

No worries, previous message disregarded.

I just looked closely at the information you have regarding your hardware and operating system, you are investigating purchasing Version 2, did you notice that Sierra is not a supported operating system?  That’s why I’m not updating to Version 2, my Mac hardware and operating system are not supported.

skybound13 … Yes, I realise macOS ‘Sierra’ is not a supported OS. It's why I cannot at this time upgrade to V.2. I still use many 32-bit apps that will break with an upgrade to a higher-version OS, and I'm not willing to take that hit at present. In future I may install a higher APFS-based macOS in place of the present Extended & Journaled OS ‘Sierra’, but as of now that's not an option. Depends on how much I need to give up in exchange for what I get in return … as of now, the trade-off's not acceptable. That may change.

Dr_No,

I’m actually in the same boat, primarily because I use Pages 4.0.1 so much, I tried Pages 5.2 but they removed support for hyperlinks, a feature I use in many documents.  I am not into upgrading to newer versions of any software I use, once I find a setup that works I stick with that as long as possible.