You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Release masks from adjustments (A.Photo v2)

Hi.

I have just downloaded A.Photo V2 MSI and im having trouble releasing masks from adjustments.
I can easily release a mask from a fill layer but im having trouble doing the same with adjustments.
Im unable to drag/drop the mask and right clicking doesn't give the option to "Release mask".

mask.png.46fb5819b58b1230834563b5cda3741a.png

Another problem that im having is to delete the mask from the adjustment. But if anyone can explain how to release the mask, i guess that deleting it will be easy.

Any help would be appreciated.

54 minutes ago, Lisbon said:

Hi.

I have just downloaded A.Photo V2 MSI and im having trouble releasing masks from adjustments.
I can easily release a mask from a fill layer but im having trouble doing the same with adjustments.
Im unable to drag/drop the mask and right clicking doesn't give the option to "Release mask".

mask.png.46fb5819b58b1230834563b5cda3741a.png

Another problem that im having is to delete the mask from the adjustment. But if anyone can explain how to release the mask, i guess that deleting it will be easy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello @Lisbon,

you can drag a mask on an adjustment layer with the mouse and drop it between layers. Then the adjustment layer and the mask layer are independent from each other.

Also note: adjustment layers are different from regular layers in regard that they have their own build in mask. As soon as you paint on an adjustment layer the mask becomes visible in the layers panel.

To delete a mask from an adjustment layer you drag it away from the adjustment and then delete it. Another way would be to fill the mask with white. The mask does not disappear but it has no effect anymore.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Thank you @dominik for your quick response.

33 minutes ago, dominik said:

you can drag a mask on an adjustment layer with the mouse and drop it between layers.

That was the first thing that i tried.
Unfortunately when I try to do that it also drags the adjustment. I can't drag just the mask.

I suspect there must be a problem with the MSI installation. After all, and according to Patrick Connor, the version I'm using (2.0.3.1688) is currently unofficial.

Thanks again. Really appreciated.

1 hour ago, dominik said:

Also note: adjustment layers are different from regular layers in regard that they have their own build in mask. As soon as you paint on an adjustment layer the mask becomes visible in the layers panel.

I see.
That must be the reason why I can't release the mask.
The fact that the built-in mask appears to the right of the adjustment thumbnail led me to think it was a regular mask.

13 hours ago, Lisbon said:

I suspect there must be a problem with the MSI installation.

I doubt that it is related to the way of installation. The internal program code that get's installed is exactly the same both ways.

Another way to create a mask from an adjustment layer's mask is to CTRL-click on the adjustment layer's mask. This creates a selection. Next you create a new mask from the little icon at the bottom of the layers panel. This mask inherits the selection's properties.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

5 hours ago, dominik said:

Another way to create a mask from an adjustment layer's mask is to CTRL-click on the adjustment layer's mask. This creates a selection. Next you create a new mask from the little icon at the bottom of the layers panel. This mask inherits the selection's properties.

Just like A. Photo v1.

And if you press Ctrl+Alt+Mouse_Click on a pixel layer you load the luminosity as a selection that can be used to create a mask.

22 hours ago, Lisbon said:

In your screenshot, it looks like you have the Curves Adjustment layer selected, not the Mask layer above it, so if that is correct then that's the reason there is no "Release mask" option in the popup menu.

21 hours ago, Lisbon said:

Unfortunately when I try to do that it also drags the adjustment. I can't drag just the mask.

That's because the  Curves Adjustment layer is a child of the Mask layer. If you want to drag just the mask you will need to drag the  Curves Adjustment layer up above the Mask layer so it is no longer a child of the Mask layer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi @R C-R

I believe that my problem was that I confused a normal mask with a built-in mask.
They look almost the same in version 2.

MaskX.png.bdbc55a6fbaaafc6e33b4d1b43defb88.png

There is that ">" symbol that helps to distinguish.
Just like in version 1 there is no way you can drag/drop a built-in mask. Only regular masks allow that.

Basically I was trying the impossible 🙂

Affinity could handle inherent mask identical to separate mask layers.

meaning offering „release mask“ that would create a seperate mask layer, and then fills the inherent. Saves a few clicks (select from layer, create mask, move mask layer, fill adjustment alpha)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

50 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

meaning offering „release mask“ that would create a seperate mask layer, and then fills the inherent.

Why would you want a separate mask for the adjustment layer in addition to the inherent one in the first place?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, N.P.M. said:

Try switching of that inherent mask.

How?

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

Why would you want a separate mask for the adjustment layer in addition to the inherent one in the first place?

Because often this workflow is used:

• i want to adjust some area
  • lets do a selection. Fine.
  • add the intended adjustment, which creates an inherent mask. Fine. Deselect all.
  • oh, I need to add a second adjustment, on the same area as the first one.
  • Let’s group them and move the mask from the first adjustment to group level.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

19 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Affinity could handle inherent mask identical to separate mask layers.

meaning offering „release mask“ that would create a seperate mask layer, and then fills the inherent. Saves a few clicks (select from layer, create mask, move mask layer, fill adjustment alpha)

I would add an option on the assistant to completely disable built-in masks on adjustments/filters making all new masks, regular masks.
Regular masks are easy to move, duplicate and delete.

• 1 month later...

I can see where Lisbon is coming from, and experienced similar issue.
Would definitely make sense and be a time saver, to more clearly separate and delete masks from adjustment layers, without deleting the adjustment itself.

In some cases it works ok as it is, but in more advanced processes, it could definitely use an upgrade by the Affinity Team, even if it exists degrees of workarounds.