You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Here's a novel one

"Save failed because ownership of the file could not be verified."

Plus the delightful "The document must now be closed" (with no chance of saving). Boom.

Fortunately when I reopened it, it recovered where I was. Got me going for a moment there, chaps.

341426311_afbug.jpg.92ed39d04191e5cf809d4fd18a205dce.jpg

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Hi Dave, Serif will likely want to know where was the document was last saved. On your internal drive, an external drive, a network drive, or a cloud? If a cloud, which one?

I've encountered this error with documents on iCloud. Serif always recommends to save on the internal drive but I'm living dangerously. 🙂 I've only had this error a few times, typically the version of it I get doesn't force close the document.

Good luck

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

It sounds a bit 'networky' so I'm assuming network/cloud unless it's some permissions issue with the user on a local drive?

It's disappointing that it shuts the document down. If it's complaining about permissions/ownership it should just not let you save it rather than close it but I'm not sure if this is some safety measure? I could probably get it looked at.

I've had this sort of problem a few times, with various software, and I must agree that the bald "This document must now be closed" type of message is both useless and infuriating, sometimes losing a fair amount of work. (Yes, I know, you should save your work as you go, but we all make mistakes, and it's easy to be wise after the event!)  It would be great if you could just go back and try to sort the problem, but it would be nice to at least have the option of saving the file before it closes!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I encountered the same issue using Publisher v2 and also HATE that it closes the file without giving me a chance to save my changes. The auto-save/recover helps to minimize the damage. I had my file in a cloud drive and have now moved it from there to my local drive. I will update this if I get more issues, but I assume that was the problem.

How do we let Affinity know to fix a problem? Closing the file and not saving changes it the problem I feel needs to be fixed for sure.

This is an issue for all three products and it is extremely annoying. For me it is new with V2, as I did not experience with V1. I solely work form my NAS, i.e. all files (and linked resources) are stored on the NAS from where they are opened.

When I send the PC to sleep and wake up again then this issue arises every single time. Very funny if you work with lot of files open you have to reopen manually after the application was closed without any choice. Good luck with recalling which files you had open so you do not lose the recovery state... After recovering you cannot save the file manually (Save as) over the original as this is still locked and write protected. So you have to save with a different file name, then deleting the old one (not with Windows as it tells you the file is still in use, so you have to directly on the NAS) and then renaming the new file back to the old name. So much joy!!!

First, it should not happen at all. It worked with V1, so I do not see any reason why it cannot work in V2.

Second, how on earth came someone up with the idea to deny me the option of saving the file manually before it is closed? I mean, honestly...

6 hours ago, DieterW said:

Second, how on earth came someone up with the idea to deny me the option of saving the file manually before it is closed? I mean, honestly...

When an app does this it means the open document is corrupted in memory and therefore it can't continue to display the document or let you save it. I've experienced this with a document with linked resources on iCloud. It's not good and needs to be fixed but the app is displaying this error only because it has to. When you see this error you should restart the app - if something this bad has happened it would be a good idea to restart.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 11 months later...