You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating EPUBs from Afpub through other help software

Dear all,

As I am trying to stick to Afpub 2, I’m trying to explore how it is best to create EPUBs starting from Afpub going through other help software.

The aim is to publish both in PDFs and EPUBs. As far as my experience goes, I noticed that the best way to publish the same book in both formats is to maintain a source file in ODT or DOCX and using it in Afpub for making PDF and in EPUB software like Jutoh to make an EPUB.

Unfortunately, I’m now in a special case. Having accidentally made a layout in Afpub with much editing from my original ODT file, I’m now in a situation where it’s hard to revert to ODT (or even in DOCX, GDOC or TMDX). My main concern are footnotes. If I copy and paste from AFPUB the whole document in any of these aforementioned formats, I miss the footnotes, so that I cannot use, e.g. the ODT, for making editing in Jutoh and producing an EPUB. So, I tried to convert the footnotes in sidenotes and endnotes, still I don’t see my notes in the ODT file. Anyway, the best point, until now, in this workflow is represented by the endnotes. Even though I miss them during the copying and pasting from Afpub, the ODT text shows <endnote> beside the part of text where the note marker should be. Furthermore, it is possible to copy and paste the body of all notes in the ODT document and I see <notebegin> at the beginning of the body of each note.

At this point, my idea is simply to find all the text containing <endnote> replacing it with number of each note marker in superscript. After doing this, I will replace, similarly, each <notebegin> with the respective note marker in superscript. When my ODT is complete, I will import it in Jutoh and will manually link each note marker with its body. All this work should take roughly three, four hours.

My question is: does anyone have a better idea in doing this job?

Please note that I have even spent about two hours in exploring other ways for doing this. I tried, for example, to make an EPUB from my PDF with Calibre. Well, the notes will be preserved in this way, but not all the links are placed in the right way so that I have still to relink almost all the note markers to the respective bodies. Moreover, Calibre destroys my Afpub made layout. I also tried exporting to EPUB, ODT, TMDX, HTML 3 and 4 from PDF Flexi application of the SoftMaker suit. The results are a little better than using Calibre, but still the note markers and bodies are not properly linked. 

The lesson I learned from this struggle is that I can’t rely on my Afpub document for making the source file from which I will export to PDF and EPUB (through ODT or equivalent format). My source file should always be ODT unless I don’t have notes.

Unless you have already tried, I would rebuild each note one by one. In the word processor, I would insert a note, and then paste the source.

It's a very long work, for which I would probably advise against using Publisher. I'm not using it myself for this type of work. Sadly, the lack of export functions can be a very hard hit for some of us.

Paolo

On 1/20/2023 at 11:03 AM, PaoloT said:

Unless you have already tried, I would rebuild each note one by one. In the word processor, I would insert a note, and then paste the source.

It's a very long work, for which I would probably advise against using Publisher. I'm not using it myself for this type of work. Sadly, the lack of export functions can be a very hard hit for some of us.

Paolo

Grazie Paolo. Non avevo pensato a questa possibilità. Forse è la cosa migliore da farsi. Prima di partire farò un tentativo per accertarmi che funzioni.

Antonio