You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to use nodes to create dots after tracing an image

Hello all. I'm in the early stages of learning the Affinity software. Just purchase the V2 Suite about a month ago.

I am wondering is it possible to do a trace of an image (raster or vector) and mark the spots where all of the nodes are along the outline? I hope that makes sense. The end result that I am looking for is to have an image or drawing or character, outlined by only dots.

Thanks!!

48 minutes ago, Wayne Burrows said:

I am wondering is it possible to do a trace of an image (raster or vector) and mark the spots where all of the nodes are along the outline? I hope that makes sense. The end result that I am looking for is to have an image or drawing or character, outlined by only dots.

Just use a dashed line for the stroke and use a clear fill.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi @Old Bruce, thanks for the info. I've been working with it a little bit and I think that I can make that work perfectly.

I have a couple of other questions if you don't mind...

I am trying to get my tool bar setup to how I want and almost every video tutorial that I have come across has wayyy more tools at their disposal than the default set that I have here. Is that just due to them possibly adding to their tool box over time or are there other tools here somewhere, but I have to do something to access them and make them visible?

Tools.png.e972a10cab7db74698777b26627a2144.pngI

Also - Many times I see that the 'shape' tools are colored in blue and I would like to do the same to mine. How do I get that done?

Thanx Again!!!

Non-related questions should be asked in different threads; this helps to make things more simple for everyone.

However…

You can configure the Tools Panel via menu “View → Customise Tools…”.

Note: The different Affinity applications have different sets of Tools available. E.g. Photo has way more tools than Designer or Publisher.

The coloured Quick Shape tool icons were in V1, and the icons changed in V2, but they are the same tools.

Edited by GarryP

My apologies @GarryP, I meant within 'Customize Tools'  is where I see others with a vast more amount of tools available.

So the colored shape icons weren't carried over from v1... I see. That seems a little nutty to me. Like going backward. Lol.

And thanks for the head's up on the SOP here. I will make sure to start a new thread whenever I have additional / non-related questions moving forward. I'm still feeling my way around everything here.

Appreciate your help!

The tools you have in the Customise Tools Panel are all that there are for the Persona you are in at the time.

If you don’t have the same amount of tools as someone else then it tells me that, as I said above, you are probably using a different application/persona to the other person.

If you can give us a full-screen screenshot of what you see and another of what you can see in the other person’s display then we can advise further.

GarryP, I think he's referring to V1 having Color Icons and V2 does not.

shapetools.png

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Wayne Burrows said:

So the colored shape icons weren't carried over from v1...

That's what I was replying to..

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

They were, as far as I can tell, asking about two things:
1. Other people seem to have more tools available;
2. The shape icons are not coloured in V2.

The, secondary, coloured icon issue (2) was answered and acknowledged a few posts ago in the post that you quoted; I don’t see why any further comment on that was needed as it was ‘all sorted’ as far as I can tell.

The, primary, “more tools” issue (1) is still an open matter awaiting the OP’s response.

My fault @GarryP. I completely missed that you said that the different Affinity apps have different amounts of tools. My eyes were too tired when I read it the first time.

And yes @Ron P. I was asking 2 different questions. (The colored shape tools and the amount of tools) So GaryP did indeed get me clear on that one. I totally got it. Since I never owned V1, I didn't know that they used to be blue before he made me aware of it. 

It's been a long couple of days - sorry about the confusion. I am all up to speed now though.

Appreciate the assistance gentlemen!