You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Plugin DXO Nik collection 1.2.12pl not fully working

TonyG55

OS is Windows 10 - up to date.  After using Affinity 1 for several years I have just installed Affinity 2.  I love the DxO Nik collection of plugins so the first thing I did was to get them working with Affinity 2.
I pointed Affinity 2 'Photshop Plugins' at the DXO folder that Affinity 1 was/is using (Program files/DxO/Nik)and sure enough upon app restart all the Nik filters show as working. Unfortunately Sharpener 3 Pro, Viveza 2 and DFine 2 throw up the errors shown in the pictures. (I have not tested all the other filters and their options exhaustively but I suspect other errors will rear their heads as I use them)
Affinity 1 is still quite happily working with all the DXO Nik filters. I tried reinstalling the DxO Nik collection into the default Affinity 2 plugins folder but the result was the same.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and is there a fix?
Thanks.

Screen Shot 01-19-23 at 03.44 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 01-19-23 at 03.42 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 01-19-23 at 03.39 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 01-19-23 at 04.21 PM.PNG

Have you tried reporting the issue to DxO Labs to see if they have a solution?

The other thing you can try is to move the plugins to the Affinity 2 plug-in folder.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

I wonder if this is due to you running an older version of Nik. Nik collection 5 is OK for me. Also there is a fairly convoluted procedure for the Nik plugins. You need a custom plug in folder. You must have set it up for V1 so maybe you are pointing Photo 2 at the wrong directories. I have mine on my D drive. The sub directories contain the plugins.

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/5091760579869-How-do-I-install-Nik-Collection-for-use-with-Affinity-Photo-

Nik.thumb.jpg.55026f29a82f50514c2b1c8c9af3a02a.jpg

Thanks all!

AiDon - I'm using the older free Google version so unfortunately no reporting is possible. The plug-ins are where Affinity 2 says they should be.
RichardMH - Yes, mine are installed like that and Affinity 2 can see them and shows them as 'working'. I have read the instructions and as far as I can tell I've installed as described. (I wish I could justify £135 for a later version but TBH the older, free, Google version does all I need - when it worked)
Twolane - Yes, that's where mine are installed. I'll uninstall and try with your suggested download although looking at the version number would suggest mine is fractionally later.

I've tried installing them where the DxO Installer wants to install them and then pointing Affinity 2 at that folder and also by changing the DxO instal directory to the Affinity 2 plug-ins folder as several people have described. Also, in my case, Affinity 1 works just fine with either method.

Onwards and upwards!!

On 1/21/2023 at 1:25 AM, RichardMH said:

They have sales from time to time. Got mine at the black friday sales. They also throw in an older version of photolab essentials which is a good raw convertor and has some DAM functionality.

Good to know. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

What type of file are you running the plugin on? Raw, bitmap etc.

Just ordinary jpg.
I think it's a deeper problem. Nik or Affinity is trying to write something back to Windows registry but is unable to do so. Since this is not happening with Affinity 1 I am making the (dangerous!) assumption that it's something to do with Affinity 2. I'll just carry on using 1 until the problem works it's way through. I suspect it may have it's roots in the .msix installer putting the program in the 'hidden' location. I'll revisit my problem once there's an .msi or .exe installer.

15 hours ago, Twolane said:

I know this is a dumb question, but you're trying to use them on a layer, right? If you forget to click on your image layer, the plugins are greyed out.

Thanks. Not dumb at all, but yes I'm on the layer that I want to use Nik on. The plugin starts but always fails with the error message shown above.

It looks to me like you have your Nik installed in Program Files\Google\Nik collection. Is there a reason they aren't in the 2.0/Plugins directory? When I click on Open Default Folder in Explorer, it takes me right to my 2.0/Plugins folder, where Gmic and Nik Collection reside. When I click on the Nik Collection directory, all of the Nik plugin folders are there, including Uninstall Nik Collection.exe.

I have no such Program Files\Google\Nik collection showing on my Photoshop Plugins page under Plugin Search Folders.

My only directory showing under C:\Program Files\Google is Chrome, and of course that doesn't show up on the Photoshop Plugins page.

15 minutes ago, Twolane said:

It looks to me like you have your Nik installed in Program Files\Google\Nik collection. Is there a reason they aren't in the 2.0/Plugins directory? When I click on Open Default Folder in Explorer, it takes me right to my 2.0/Plugins folder, where Gmic and Nik Collection reside. When I click on the Nik Collection directory, all of the Nik plugin folders are there, including Uninstall Nik Collection.exe.

I have no such Program Files\Google\Nik collection showing on my Photoshop Plugins page under Plugin Search Folders.

My only directory showing under C:\Program Files\Google is Chrome, and of course that doesn't show up on the Photoshop Plugins page.

Thanks. I have tried both the Affinity 2 default folder - C:\Users\user\.affinity\Photo\2.0\Plugins and the default directory that my Nik installs in - Program Files\Google\Nik collection.
I have uninstalled the Program Files install and at the moment I'm actually using C:\Users\user\.affinity\Photo\2.0\Plugins. Same issue in either directory. (Affinity 1 is also using this directory quite happily.)

Screen Shot 01-25-23 at 01.17 PM.JPG

47 minutes ago, Twolane said:

Hmm. That's where I had Nik installed in v1 also. Beyond what I have mentioned, I have nothing. Do you have any software installed that might be blocking/locking access to that directory, by chance?

No blocking software that I'm aware of. Thanks very much for your input.

I am a bit confused. The opening post indicates that the trouble is caused by failed accesses to some registry keys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DxO\... However, the old Google version of the Nik Collection (1.2.11) does not create these registry keys, nor does it attempt to access them. I have Google Nik Collection (1.2.11) running fine with Affinity Photo 2.0.3, and I checked that there are no such registry keys. Could it be that there is a conflict with an installation of a DxO version?

17 hours ago, winfried_z said:

I am a bit confused. The opening post indicates that the trouble is caused by failed accesses to some registry keys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DxO\... However, the old Google version of the Nik Collection (1.2.11) does not create these registry keys, nor does it attempt to access them. I have Google Nik Collection (1.2.11) running fine with Affinity Photo 2.0.3, and I checked that there are no such registry keys. Could it be that there is a conflict with an installation of a DxO version?

Thanks. I'm confused too! 🙂 There are no such registry keys on my system either. Using Nik through V1 does not invoke this attempt to write to the registry. Only using V2. I've never had a different version of the Nik collection and am using the same version as you. I've also run CC cleaners registry tool which didn't show any problems with Nik  or Google missing keys. Totally baffled.

If I remember correctly, there was a short time during which DxO distributed the old Nik collection before going commercial. They probably applied some modifications to the original Google version. I could imagine that this version causes the mentioned accesses to the registry. An indication for this is also the installation in the directory "Program files/DxO/Nik". So my only advice is to make sure that Affinity Photo V2 really uses the original Google 8bf plugins.

I am having the same plugin issue with Affinity 2 (after the latest update) I point the 'add' to the correct location \on the drive where my plugins are located and they show (upon reload of Affinity) as 'working' but when I attempt to use the\m they are greyed out and unavailable. I still have Affinity version 1 running and the plugins function properly with that version.

HELP

Light travels faster than sound. That's why someone can look bright until you hear them speak.

8 minutes ago, killzen said:

but when I attempt to use the\m they are greyed out and unavailable.

That usually means you do not have an RGB pixel layer selected, or don't have the bit-depth (8, or 16) expected by the plugin.

One possibility in V2, if you are starting with a RAW image, is that you're developing it to an embedded or linked RAW layer, rather than a pixel layer. This is a new function that V1 did not have. But if you use it, you don't have a pixel layer, and so plugins won't work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a positive follow up this problem. Hopefully it may prove useful to others but then again it may have been a problem specific to my system.

I have uninstalled Affinty 2 which had been installed with the MSIX installer.  I then downloaded the, now available, MSI installer. I used the default install directory (which is the program folder rather than the 'hidden' folder MSIX that uses.

Surprisingly all my preferences and licence were picked up from the old install. Anyway my old, free version of the NIK collection now works perfectly with Affinity V2 (and V1) ☺️.  All's well that ends well! 

So clearly something to do with the way the MSIX installer works. (on my PC anyway)