You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Attempting to change spread in placed document caused my machine to drop to its knees

GarryP

Publisher 2.0.3 on Windows 10 Home.

1. I created a new document in Publisher.
  2. I placed a large-ish (90+ pages) AFPUB V1 document into it.
  3. I changed the spread via the Context Toolbar.
  4. I duplicated the placed document, rotated it and moved it.
  5. I then tried to change the spread in the duplicate placed document via the Context Toolbar.

And that’s when things went wrong...

• The displayed spread on the canvas stayed the same even when I tried to change the spread a couple of times.
  • Then Publisher wouldn’t let me move any of the layers in the document but I could, somehow, move the bounding box of the duplicate placed document.
  • Then I couldn’t select anything in the Layers Panel.
  • Then Publisher went into being “not responding”.
  • And that’s when I noticed that the hard drive had become ‘fully active’.
  • Then I opened Task Manager, but that was also “not responding”.
  • (The odd times that Task Manager did respond, briefly, it told me that it couldn’t do the operation that I asked it to which was to end the Publisher 2 task.)
  • Then the mouse pointer stopped responding intermittently, but often.
  • I also noticed that the clock on the Taskbar wasn't being updated.
  • The next 20 minutes were spent trying everything I could, really... really… slowly... one mouse-click every thirty seconds or so, to get the machine under control again, until I managed to do something, whatever it was, that allowed me to eventually ‘knee-cap’ Publisher (or maybe the machine did it itself) and start closing other applications down safely.

About 30 minutes after it all started my machine seems to be back to how it should be.

It probably goes without saying that I’m not going to try that again just to see if it can be replicated.

If you want to try it yourself, I can try and package the placed AFPUB document if you want to give me a dropbox link.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking into this.
I’ve popped the zipped package - cvugpackage.zip - into the drop box provided.
I’m fairly sure that this was the document which I was manipulating when the problem happened.

Basic system specs are in the attached images.
If you need further more-specific info’ just ask.

image.png.6f40551918133f4d391f9b7de30167b4.png

image.png.7919d8c95335fa0489229e8bf6a7416f.png

• Staff

@GarryP Thanks for sending over the file,

Without even needing to place it in an existing doc, simply opening it on my PC causes Publisher 2 to go unresponsive and slowly begins taking up all available Memory. V1 has no issues with this file so it's failing to interpret/load something within the file in V2.

After renaming it to an .afpub extension and then opening the file it rendered page 2/3 but the document is entirely frozen and it will eventually go into an unresponsive state.

I'll get this logged up with the developers to investigate further.