You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector paint bucket

Or you could end up with a method like in Anime Studio, where fills are disconnected (in a way) from the stroke that defines them. 

Thinking outside the fill bucket, what if there was a create filled area tool, you click on that and it creates a closed curve that is based on the line(s). Let's say we use 4 lines and create a square. The lines look like a pound sign: #. The filled area tool is clicked in the square in the middle and duplicates the lines up to the area where two lines cross, then it goes on and dupes that line until that line crosses another. Of course, it would check first to see if the lines describe a "closed shape" and then proceed. It would create, in an element below the lines a filled shape that would look like a filled area, but be it's own shape. Since what's created is an "ordinary" shape/closed curve, we can still do anything with it that we could do to any other vector object. 

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

We will add a vector fill tool but we want to do it right so it might take a while.

I'd rather wait for a great tool, than get a wonky one now. :D

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

• Staff

Basically it would create a shape based on the lines that define the boundaries of the area we want to fill. For this to work reliably the boolean operations code must be very solid. This would bypass some of Illustrator limitations since it doesn't rely on creating a live paint group.

• 1 year later...

I'll have to use my patience for the vector fill tool I suppose.  Can someone tell me the right way to do this the hard way?  I'm a noob and even searching for how to do things is tricky because I don't know all the key words yet.  I've watched about half of all the tutorial videos and haven't noticed how to do a vector type fill, just how to work with share fills.  I drew a picture with the pen tool, but just an outline.  I would like to fill it in to colour it and learn how to shade it.  I'm sure this is second nature for experienced people.  Can someone please tell me where to look for the answer?

8strong,

Until they add something equivalent to the paint bucket or Live Paint to Designer the work around takes a little longer but it isn't that hard to do once you get the idea of how it works. In order to fill an area inside of an outline, you need to create a shape matching the area that you want to fill. You said that you have created an outline, now simply redraw a shape that fits with the shape of the outline and then fill it with a color. Think in terms of shapes, not areas. You need to create a shape that matches the area in order to fill that area. If you posted your outline or even part of your outline, it would be easy to show you. 

Hokusai

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/9/2014 at 9:33 PM, TonyB said:

We will add a vector fill tool but we want to do it right so it might take a while.

😴

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk