You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will the New Version of Affinity Photo run smoothly on the New M2 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM ?

2 minutes ago, augustya said:

So when did I say that question here was not answered ? You at the end of all gain made that comment in your last to last post that you should be now aware on your buying decision on what is right for you ? Yes so I am reading it and making up my mind accordingly. Why did you have to leave that comment again ? I didn't quite get it ?

So you already made a final decision and are no longer undecided which configuration you finally need and will buy? - In other words you have finalized your decision?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 hours ago, Chills said:

However you won't be able to access the internal  hard drive if you  boot of the external one.

Which M-series Macs have an internal hard drive? Aren't they all SSD's?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Which M-series Macs have an internal hard drive? Aren't they all SSD's?

Nope, they are a bank of flash memory if you are going to be that pedantic.  
SSD is Solid State Drive  not that there is a "Drive" in it.  
HDD is a Hard Disk Drive  to seperate it from a FDD.  HDD's are normally 12inch., 5.25 inch  3.5 in and 2.5 inch metal disks.
FDD is a Floppy Disk Drive.  These come in 3inch, 3.5 inch , 5.25 inch and 8 inch plastic disks
A CD or Compact Disk is a Hard Disk Drive but optical rather than magnetic and ocasionally refered to as an OD or Optical Drive
Then there are USB sticks or Thumb Drives   that are the same as an SSD

If you are  going to use Solid State Drive when it is just a block of flash memory on the MCU die and not a seperate Dirve at all then it is just as legitimate to call it a Hard Drive. We all know what is meant.

BTW is the main memory RAM inthe M1 Macs  static or dynamic RAM?

www.JAmedia.uk  and www.TamworthHeritage.org.uk
[Win 11  | AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]

7 minutes ago, Chills said:

HDD is a Hard Disk Drive  to seperate it from a FDD.  HDD's are normally 12inch., 5.25 inch  3.5 in and 2.5 inch metal disks.

All I meant to point out is you used "hard drive" to refer to the built-in storage device on the M-series Macs. It is neither "hard" nor a "drive" in the conventional sense.

As for referring to that as an SSD, I meant it in the general sense like it is used in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive to refer to any solid-state storage device.

13 minutes ago, Chills said:

BTW is the main memory RAM inthe M1 Macs  static or dynamic RAM?

From what I have read, there is a small amount of NVRAM in the M-series Macs, but I assume main memory RAM is dynamic since its contents are not retained between cold starts.

Why do you ask?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

All I meant to point out is you used "hard drive" to refer to the built-in storage device on the M-series Macs. It is neither "hard" nor a "drive" in the conventional sense.

As for referring to that as an SSD, I meant it in the general sense like it is used in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive to refer to any solid-state storage device.

From what I have read, there is a small amount of NVRAM in the M-series Macs, but I assume main memory RAM is dynamic since its contents are not retained between cold starts.

Why do you ask?

It is a Hard Drive as opposed to a Floppy Drive.   Though it is not a "drive" as in SSDrive at all.  It is just a block of flash on the die.
Before I get back to RAM what sort of Flash? There are several types.  How they are written to differs.

For RAM  neither Static nor Dynamic RAM  retain data when power is removed. Neither is non volatile.  It is the way their opperate and the lines required to opeprate them.
Google cas and ras (and timings too)

Talking to a copule of people who know macs well (from a technical standpoint as well as long time users)   they said the  8GB/256GB M1s are good for email, surfing, watching videos, listneing to music and wrting word docs.   and similar light stuff but get the 3 year Apple Care package.  To do *anything* else  you need a minimum of 16GB/512GB    though thanks to the advanced memory used in the M1/2 Macs 16GB is like 32GB on a PC.  Which is true as the x86 Architecure is appaling.  

Intel should have made the break when they went to Pentiums but they wanted backwards compatability.  (I can recommend this bok for masochists who want to look at x86 architecture https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Microprocessors-8th-Barry-Brey/dp/0135026458  )   I can see the next Micro$oft move will be to an ARM based processor for Windows going farward. NOTE Apple do not use an ARM CPU.  They licensed the instruction set.  It is an Apple designed MCU. 

50 minutes ago, Chills said:

It is a Hard Drive as opposed to a Floppy Drive.  

It is neither, just a solid-state storage device, or SSD for short.

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is neither, just a solid-state storage device, or SSD for short.

Now you are just making up definitions . For as long as I have been inthe electronics industry, as an Engineer,  it has been a Solid State DRIVE 

https://techterms.com/definition/ssd
https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/ssd
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-solid-state-drive-definition,5763.html

I could go on but you get the point.

9 minutes ago, Chills said:

Now you are just making up definitions .

Nope. Please refer to the Wikipedia article I linked to. It was not me who wrote it.

Affinity Photo 

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Nope. Please refer to the Wikipedia article I linked to. It was not me who wrote it.

Wikipeadi is not a valid reference.  Any chimpanzee can edit that. Though the name of the page you refernced is "Solid_State_Drive" 
Got an reall technical references?
I can keep going  with links from the computer industry. 
https://www.avast.com/c-what-is-ssd
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/what-is-an-ssd
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/all-about-ssd-hdd-and-storage-types-9c6c7c59-7d1c-4611-9ba9-676d53cc0ff1

Or perhaps professional  practitioners like me all have it wrong?

18 minutes ago, Chills said:

Wikipeadi is not a valid reference. 

Spelled correctly, it is a valid reference for how such terms are used generically by many people. I am one of them. You are not. That's all there is to it. It is pointless to make more of it than that.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Spelled correctly, it is a valid reference for how such terms are used generically by many people. I am one of them. You are not. That's all there is to it. It is pointless to make more of it than that.

I quoted HP computers, Avast AV, Micorsoft,  PCMag (a rrespectred computer magazine for 40 years) and a Professional Engineer with decades of R&D experience and you have wikipeadia. No contest really.  There is the correct term used by industry and on things like patents and then there is you.

14 minutes ago, Chills said:

I quoted HP computers, Avast AV, Micorsoft,  PCMag (a rrespectred computer magazine for 40 years) and a Professional Engineer with decades of R&D experience and you have wikipeadia. No contest really.  There is the correct term used by industry and on things like patents and then there is you.

And yet, like you they still use the no longer accurate word "drive" to refer to this class of devices.

Go figure.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

And yet, like you they still use the no longer accurate word "drive" to refer to this class of devices.

Go figure.

So you are sying the entire computer industy and R&D engineers  are wrong because wikipeadia says so?
Wow!  I must remember that when I am editing. Though in my case it is not wikipeadi but international standards.

7 minutes ago, Chills said:

So you are sying the entire computer industy and R&D engineers  are wrong because wikipeadia says so?

Nope. I am just saying the word "drive" has never been accurate when applied to this class of devices. We do not need Wikipedia to know that.

BTW, you mighty want to see if there is something wrong with your spellchecker.

Affinity Photo 

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

Nope. I am just saying the word "drive" has never been accurate when applied to this class of devices. We do not need Wikipedia to know that.

Your only support for your view is wikipeadia.
The support for my view is the entire electronics and computing industry.
We can leave it there.

4 hours ago, Chills said:

Your only support for your view is wikipeadia.

Actually, you yourself mentioned in an earlier post that "drive" is not an appropriate word for devices like SSD's that do not have a physical drive motor. Did you forget writing this?

21 hours ago, Chills said:

SSD is Solid State Drive  not that there is a "Drive" in it.  

BTW, please learn to spell Wikipedia correctly.

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, loukash said:

Guys, really… can you please take your off-topic nerd talk to private…?

Quite. My appolgies for riasing to the bait.

On the original point:- the minimum,  for anything other than email, web surfing and simple documents,  is  an  M1 with  16GB Ram / 512SSD.  If the OP can't afford that then look at the "refurbished" part of the Apple Web site for one.  With the Launch of the M2 etc. at the bare minimum the stock will have a new motherboard (with new RAM and SSD). More likely it will be a completely new machine. The refurbished area  is where Apple gets rid of excess [new] stock.

Otherwise look at why “it has to be” a MAC.    You can probably get a better spec Windows PC and then add more RAM and SSD’s or M.2 drives later. Also you can up the graphics card. Important if you are doing photo work.     My Mac Pro does not have the original Graphics card in it.  Though even for upgradeable macs the choices are limited and more expensive than a PC.  The problem with the new Macs is you can’t upgrade them or replace parts.

So ignore the hype, marketing and brands. Work out what you actually need. 

6 minutes ago, Chills said:

Quite. My appolgies for riasing to the bait.

On the original point:- the minimum,  for anything other than email, web surfing and simple documents,  is  an  M1 with  16GB Ram / 512SSD.  If the OP can't afford that then look at the "refurbished" part of the Apple Web site for one.  With the Launch of the M2 etc. at the bare minimum the stock will have a new motherboard (with new RAM and SSD). More likely it will be a completely new machine. The refurbished area  is where Apple gets rid of excess [new] stock.

Otherwise look at why “it has to be” a MAC.    You can probably get a better spec Windows PC and then add more RAM and SSD’s or M.2 drives later. Also you can up the graphics card. Important if you are doing photo work.     My Mac Pro does not have the original Graphics card in it.  Though even for upgradeable macs the choices are limited and more expensive than a PC.  The problem with the new Macs is you can’t upgrade them or replace parts.

So ignore the hype, marketing and brands. Work out what you actually need. 

Do people and customers buying a Mercedes S Class or a BMW 7 series or an Audi have an answer on why they prefer one over another.

It is their belief their liking for a particular product which they think they like it and would love to use it.

How can one possibly give this answer of why Mac Over Windows. 

Mac is beautiful Windows is Ugly ! lol !!

34 minutes ago, augustya said:

Do people and customers buying a Mercedes S Class or a BMW 7 series or an Audi have an answer on why they prefer one over another.

It is their belief their liking for a particular product which they think they like it and would love to use it.

How can one possibly give this answer of why Mac Over Windows. 

Mac is beautiful Windows is Ugly ! lol !!

I said ignore the hype, marketing and brands.   You have a requirement,  look at how you can meet that requirement technically and at what costs and with options.
As you may have noticed I am an Electronics/software engineer with no brand loyalty.  I have macs, PCs and linux boxes puls a whole load of sutff that is different.
If you can't get a "referbished"  16GB/512SSD M1 then lookat a PC and add RAM and SSD's and M.2s as you can afford them. The only thing is don't skimp on the CPU. Everything else is an easy upgrade.

People buying Merc S,  BMW 7s and Audis have money to spare.  You don't. Do not get sucked in by the hype and marketing. 
Windows ins't ugly*, the x86 architecture is though. That said untill recently both PC's and Macs were x86.    I have used PCC and Intel macs.

*Windows is not what it was. It has compleltey changed architecures over the years. It was based on the VAX OS  principals at one point

Interestingly Macs (Lisa?) were origionally Motorola 68K based at the beginning before going to Motorola PPC then Intel x86.  Spiritually the ARM parts are connected to the 68K (you have to know the background history of the industry for this) So one could argue the Apple M1s have come spiritually full circle.

51 minutes ago, Chills said:

Windows ins't ugly

It is.
Because I said so. :P 

Seriously, enough of that, please. You've made your point more than once.
Thank you.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 minutes ago, loukash said:

It is.
Because I said so. :P 

Seriously, enough of that, please. You've made your point more than once.
Thank you.

You only quoted hald of what I said. The x86 architecure is a pig. Have you seem the segmented adressing? 
Windows is several very different systems depending on which one.  Just as System 7 and OSX were compoletley different.
This is a purly techical discussion.

1 hour ago, Chills said:

I said ignore the hype, marketing and brands.   You have a requirement,  look at how you can meet that requirement technically and at what costs and with options.
As you may have noticed I am an Electronics/software engineer with no brand loyalty.  I have macs, PCs and linux boxes puls a whole load of sutff that is different.
If you can't get a "referbished"  16GB/512SSD M1 then lookat a PC and add RAM and SSD's and M.2s as you can afford them. The only thing is don't skimp on the CPU. Everything else is an easy upgrade.

People buying Merc S,  BMW 7s and Audis have money to spare.  You don't. Do not get sucked in by the hype and marketing. 
Windows ins't ugly*, the x86 architecture is though. That said untill recently both PC's and Macs were x86.    I have used PCC and Intel macs.

*Windows is not what it was. It has compleltey changed architecures over the years. It was based on the VAX OS  principals at one point

Interestingly Macs (Lisa?) were origionally Motorola 68K based at the beginning before going to Motorola PPC then Intel x86.  Spiritually the ARM parts are connected to the 68K (you have to know the background history of the industry for this) So one could argue the Apple M1s have come spiritually full circle.

OK I will give you a serious answer. The Entire MAC OS the way it looks, the Look and Feel the UI the ease of Use, File Management System, Magical APPS, Trackpad Gestures. It makes MAC OS Look Slick ! It is a class apart. The same way why people prefer iPhone over Android. Only a user of Apple devices know what it means to them Apple should have a new Selling/Marketing Slogan..."Life Made Easy !!"

28 minutes ago, augustya said:

OK I will give you a serious answer. The Entire MAC OS the way it looks, the Look and Feel the UI the ease of Use, File Management System, Magical APPS, Trackpad Gestures. It makes MAC OS Look Slick ! It is a class apart. The same way why people prefer iPhone over Android. Only a user of Apple devices know what it means to them Apple should have a new Selling/Marketing Slogan..."Life Made Easy !!"

That is a marketing answer.  You are buying a dream and don't want a technical answer.

OSX reminds me of Solaris I used in the mid 1990s  
The file management system has changed several times. Even as OSX. 
Go buy your dream and be happy.

1 minute ago, Chills said:

You are buying a dream and don't want a technical answer.

The OP is simply expressing a personal preference for the look & feel of one OS over another. For something that gets used frequently, often for hours every day, that is just as an important consideration as the technical ones.

Affinity Photo